Weather in NW Kent

TimDA1

Weather in NW Kent

Post by TimDA1 »

My garden is a complete mess. Yesterday (Saturday) we had a massive storm. Rain the heaviest I've seen in this country! Plus, had hailstones the size of marbles.
All my big leaved plants - Musa/Ensete, canna, alocs, colacs etc are completely shredded. More leaves all over the lawn than on the plants :-(
Hopefully they will recover... my fonatanesii's which i bought a few weeks back and were doing so well, are now leafless :-(
themes

Re: Weather in NW Kent

Post by themes »

TimDA1 wrote:My garden is a complete mess. Yesterday (Saturday) we had a massive storm. Rain the heaviest I've seen in this country! Plus, had hailstones the size of marbles.
All my big leaved plants - Musa/Ensete, canna, alocs, colacs etc are completely shredded. More leaves all over the lawn than on the plants :-(
Hopefully they will recover... my fonatanesii's which i bought a few weeks back and were doing so well, are now leafless :-(
It was severe downpours here too so your not alone i that respect. It had been a very dry spring, looking as a dry start to the summer so it was needed. I did not have hail stones. This is the Uk, I would not expect anything less :roll:
palmking

Post by palmking »

I feel for you guys! -The last few days, I've had nothing more than a light sprinkling . I've watched the Thunderstorms move around the pennines yesterday and today , whilst me on the lowland has been baking dry!

Makes a change! :lol:

Paul
themes

Post by themes »

palmking wrote:I feel for you guys! -The last few days, I've had nothing more than a light sprinkling . I've watched the Thunderstorms move around the pennines yesterday and today , whilst me on the lowland has been baking dry!

Makes a change! :lol:

Paul
To be honest I wanted rain. The garden looks so much better when it rains, then when you water it from a hose. Last year it rained alot, although not boiling it the plants grew better with all the rain. Although I love being in the garden in the sun, I want temps to best suit what I am growing. If I was growing Agave or something similar I would be less keen on the rain. Hope it stays humid
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tim, my sister lives in Wilmington, 7 miles from me and maybe 2 miles from you. She phoned today saying her cars were damaged by golf ball sized hail stones, The next doors neighbour's greenhouse was also wrecked by the hail. She took a video, and is going to email it to me. Wow, what a storm :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tim fortunately with the weather forecast for this week all your alocasia, colocasia etc will think they at home in the jungle so will recover fast. We had a similar problem on 3rd July 2007 where the Wimbledon Storm hit us. everything was shredded.... except the Colocasia Mammoth, whose leaves were tough enough not to be affected. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pete G »

I cant be far away, but we never had anything like that :shock:

A shower around 5 pm for 10 minutes was all.

Only just wetted the ground.
TimDA1

Post by TimDA1 »

This will give you some idea how it was. Not my film - also, the vid was not taken when it came down the hardest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhoc5vgNKQ
pete G

Post by pete G »

I see there are a lot of videos from areas north of me, thats almost unbelievable. :shock:
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hello Tim, I live only a couple of miles from you and can empaphise completely with you. I have damaged leaves mainly on my Darmera P but also holes in my Ensete and Rodgersia T. It was the biggest storm that i'd ever seen,but did mean that I didn't have to water the garden for a couple of days. neil :D
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

That's insane :shock: Only in the American plain states and the Canadain praries can I visualize such an event. Well at least there they are truely the size of golf balls or larger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZr8jXo1Uso

Cheers, Barrie.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I still have not received the video from my sister, I'll give her a nudge :wink:

But this is what the Gravesend Reporter had to say.
060709 Heatwave.jpg
Been up to 23.8C here today, warmer than forecast, but now looks like we are going to pay for it, as huge anvils all around
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Why do people always complaine when it gets one or 2 days above 30? The same people whom flock to Spanish beaches at the height of summer...

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I didn't actually reach 30C here this summer, only getting to 29.9, but I'd love to be having that forecast on the paper, now. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright