Rhyl and frost?

real_ale

Rhyl and frost?

Post by real_ale »

We are thinking of moving to Rhyl (not ask why?) so im wondering about how severe the frost is there, are less severe there been by the coast, is there who lives there or know anybody.
Dave in Warrington

Re: Rhyl and frost?

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Rhyl is only 7 miles along the coast from the Dee estuary and across the estuary on the English side Stephen is situated at Heswall. You'll have to get have to get confirmation from Stephen Prudence if no one on 'Hardy Tropicals' is actually in Rhyl.

I recently worked in Flintshire on the Dee Estuary for 15 months covering two winters. It may be a few degrees milder if winds come in from the North but this year the Easterlies blew of the land so the sea made litlte difference.

I presume your thinking Tropical plants but what about the rain ...... the North Wales coast can be seen from my locality in 'Wet Warrington' and Wales takes brunt of the rain first :ahhh!:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

North Wales has a funny climate, the warmest winter places in North Wales north coastal strip are Rhos-on-sea, Abergele, Llandudno and Rhos-on-sea.

Rhyl has a mild climate in winter however with no signifcant mountains directly behind it, it finds itself cooler and much much wetter than the places mentioned above. The temperature in Rhyl is usually 1-2C lower than the other resorts in general at any given time of year and is quite a benign climate.

If you had the choice, I'd go for Prestatyn or Abergele/Colwyn Bay where the temperatures are really very mild in winter! and the houses are fairly cheap and the views are wonderful!
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

Just moved to Rhyl, i have got new front garden to do this time, we are about 150 m away from the sea, having spoke to the neigbours about the winter climate here in Rhyl, they are saying snow rare, frost are light and melt soon after , SE are the Clwydian Range, which holds some of the rain, and in Snowdonia National Park to the West. Wind is a problem and the salt spray.
stephenprudence

I'd say all in all, a beneficial move.

It is a mild place, still not as mild as the Colwyn Bay area but it's a small difference (go to Llandudno in January and you'll see what I mean). I'd say Rhyl has a similar climate to here - you may have to pick salt resistant plants, but I'm sure there many of those around!

You are closer to Crug and Rikards ferns now to that may be beneficial.

Actually next month me and Cheryl were going to go to Rhyl, as we havent been for a while.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice mild climate then Real-Ale You'll have to do a topic on the main forum about it :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

This is interesting.. they are three comparable data sets one from Rhyl, one from Bidston (Wirral), and one from London city.

Basically compare the Temperature minimum means

On the Rhyl data set the minimum temperature mean is shown at the bottom in the 'Tm' column.

On the Bidston data set the minimum temperature mean is shown at the end of each corresponding row.

On the London one the minimum temperature mean is shown by the column 'tmin degC' and each month has 12 entries.

In particular compare the winter months of 1982, 1987, 1995 and 2001. Very interesting indeed - and these are some of the mildest places, inland areas have much colder data sets (which interests given my interest in local climatology)

Wirral dataset: http://www.pol.ac.uk/appl/hist_met/meanmintemps.pdf

Rhyl dataset: http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/datos.php?stn=33130

London dataset: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ ... chdata.txt
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Does not seem to be very atractive , cold, wet and windy. We get allready to much of that outhere...

Alexander
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

I have found this website about Rhyl's temp's over the past years, here's a link //www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/RHYL/33130.htm