Autumn 2009, just arrived here !

Dave in Warrington

Autumn 2009, just arrived here !

Post by Dave in Warrington »

After a dry, mild, bank holiday Monday, the heavens have just opened but then it is September tommorrow !

The Autumnal outlook on this site is for a 'typical autumn'
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?acti ... ange;sess=

Will we see an 'Indian summer' then ?
Adam D

Re: Autumn 2009, just arrived here !

Post by Adam D »

That heavy rain over you has now made its way up to here, bleuurrgh!

As for Autumn 2009, that started up here a couple of weeks ago. I have never such a pronounced change in the season before.

An Indian summer would be nice though...
jezza

Post by jezza »

Days have been getting shorter. 4 weeks ago it was getting light at 3.30am, now it's 5am.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Oh I know Jezza.

4 weeks ago it was still light at 10pm, last night it was dark around 8.30pm :shudder:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Rain arrived here at about 7.15pm, still going on at nearly 9pm
Hankers

Post by Hankers »

It's so interesting to see the difference in weather between relatively close areas. No rain at all here today and a very warm windy day with a high of 26.5 degrees.

Steve
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

That wind was like hairdryer today very warm, actually it was one of the few occassions when the wind chill was higher than the temperature.

Even though the temperature was 23.5C here, the windchill was 26.7C!

The rain that went through this evening was short lived and light
Nick

Post by Nick »

We've had an altomital nip in the air here for about three weeks now, and as for the B/H we had sun Sat 28th but a cold wind, Sunday was damp and gray with drizzle all day, B/H Monday was fog in the morning then drizzle then sun when it was to late to be of a benefit to anyone who was hoping to go out somewhere :( :( :( it's going to make it a long old winter if it continues like this with these nasty days that are more like November than Aug/Sep.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote:That wind was like hairdryer today very warm, actually it was one of the few occassions when the wind chill was higher than the temperature.

So how does this work Stephen :?: , I've been seeing higher windchills quite regularly this summer, but thought it was a weatherstation reading problem.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by marfanuk »

Dave Brown wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:That wind was like hairdryer today very warm, actually it was one of the few occassions when the wind chill was higher than the temperature.

So how does this work Stephen :?: , I've been seeing higher windchills quite regularly this summer, but thought it was a weatherstation reading problem.
'Wind chill' gives a wrong suggestion of the weather. I usually go with the 'real feel' which is
AccuWeather wrote:The patented, exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature is an index that describes what the temperature really feels like. It's a unique composite of everything that affects how warm or cold a person feels, and measures the effects of temperature, wind, humidity, sunshine intensity, cloudiness, precipitation and elevation on the human body
Hope this helps.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I know what you mean Marfan, technically the wind has no temperature difference in reality, but it did feel much warmer than usual, it was a bit more than your usual humidity injection though.

I imagine a mix of high dewpoints, warm air, and a high theta-w reading (wetbulb) gave us perfect conditions for 'higher windchill values' than the thermometer read.