Re: How cold does it get in winter?

Post by palmking »

Because that would be pushing it too much , Dave!!!! :D

Fruitless climate. yeah, why won't my figs ripen!!!! :(

Paul.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Tonight looks like it will defoliate/perhaps even kill the bougainvilleas around our region Paul, perhaps I should retract the statement that the NW should all grow Bougies. :lol:
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

Its only 7C at the moment in Manchester, so i think a light frost here . i could do with them showers here, clear skys at the moment.
palmking

Post by palmking »

stephenprudence wrote:Tonight looks like it will defoliate/perhaps even kill the bougainvilleas around our region Paul, perhaps I should retract the statement that the NW should all grow Bougies. :lol:

Aren't clouds great!!! :D

I've had 1 x 2.8C, 2 X3.3C and 1 4.2C this week -Sure has been chilly but enough cloud surfaced at times to lift the temps.

Hit 1.1C in Woodford-Bl**dy frost hollow - you can keep your Million pound houses!
:D

+15C today and a low of 10.1 C o/night. Back to normal for a while.

The bougies -all three types are still putting out flowers -no defoliatation/bract fall as yet.

Paul - retract your retraction , Stephen!
:D :D :D :D :D
stephenprudence

Yep I jumped the gun again, on that night it only fell to 5.3C so no Bougy losses of any kind yet. My bougy is still going strong, a good shake usually lets you know whether its been affected, but no bracts cam off.

It has been going cooler at night thanks to clear skies but last night we fell to 8.5C but not a problem. Tonight we should stay around 12C

No frost for the foreseeable future either, which is good. In fact into next week night temperature could be anything from 12-15C which for October is nearly double the average!!

I got 17.2C today it felt lovely!
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

stephenprudence wrote:
No frost for the foreseeable future either, which is good. In fact into next week night temperature could be anything from 12-15C which for October is nearly double the average!!
Funny stephen, now it looks like we get the cold nights over here.
:lol:
stephenprudence

Yep it makes sense though because when Holland/Netherlands gets the warm, humid southerly flow we often get the cool maritime air here in west UK, and when we get the warm, humid southerly, you get the cold side of the high with northerly air (or middle of the high - even worse)
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Well not complete right, at the moment the position of the high pressure is very importent for our temperatures at the moment. The wind directions are changing every day... from northeast to the southwest.

Because the cars are changing the position of the high pressure almost 2-3 times a day, they can give now 12C for the day but maybe the day after tomorrow 16C again. A few days ago the forecasted for coming Tuesday 21C and now only 13C.

So it's more the position of the high pressure, well the winds are importent to... but just like I said the are changing every day. However I can talk with is good and what not but it looks like I'm going to get under the 5C during the nights coming week and that's have not been happen anymore since somewhere in March and I don't like that kind of temperatures. :lol:

I'm not ready for winter look a like temperatures!

Robbin
eddie

Post by eddie »

Same here, it all depends on the wind. And this coastline gets a lot of wind! Luckily temps are not so low as compared to the rest of Holland. Winds are mostly SW, thats ok even N winds will not bring strong freezes. Only easterly winds in winter are dangerous and temps go below 0. Real severe frost is quite rare here, but sometimes it can get tricky.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

True, eastern to northeastern winds bring the most problems here in winter if you look to the temperatures.

However you live in The Hague, that city is big and has got his own climate. That city has even more his own climate compared to the other Big Cities like Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

Robbin
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Bloody cold!

Alexander