Another weather and snow thread

stephenprudence

Re: Another weather and snow thread

Post by stephenprudence »

I give up trying to predict my fickle temperature drops/rises.

-5.9C now, I think I'll spare everyone the running commentary now - the tide is coming in though which may help to stop temperatures falling.

Liverpool AP is -7C now!
El hands

Post by El hands »

Hi, with temperatures dropping below –7C in most areas and perhaps due to drop below –10C and more makes me sick with worry for my pride and joy Dicksonia antarctica’s. I have 3 and although the 2 largest reside in a relatively sheltered spot shielded by block of large conifers, I fear the worst.

I did the usual this year as last year and the year before, which is plug the centre with straw, tie together the fronds and cover the whole plant in a light covering of horticultural fleece. A few days ago I covered the top half with a large fleece bag and this evening, because of the dire weather warnings, I dug out some old sheets from the garage and wrapped the main trunks up. Is this enough? I suspect not!

I believe a short cold spell is no danger but prolonged extreme temperatures such as these with the ground being frozen for so long may see them out. My largest Dicksonia antarctica is 3 years old and produces numerous huge leaves from its 5ft trunk. The second largest plant has a very wide 3ft trunk but also produces large prolific leaf growth. I have had this plant for over 5 years. My smallest and ailing plant, I have had for over 7 years. I have a bad feeling that this has already expired. Losing them all would be like losing old friends and I would seriously consider not replacing should the worst happen. It’s not just the cost of replacement it’s fear of the pain of a second loss.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

PERDIDE ALBION...

Alexander
cordyman wrote:Anyone seen this

It looks like every cloud (area of pressure etc) is curling in and entombing the UK! icon_colors

from here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8446523.stm
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

even though it is only -1.5 outside at present,it feels colder than has done all week thanks to these easterlies icon_thumbdown
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

cordyman, stunning photo. thanks.
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

That photograph is truely stunning. Its just a shame that it brings so much misery.

Thanks for posting the link.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

It looks like every cloud (area of pressure etc) is curling in and entombing the UK!

from here

Much larger copy here. Well worth a look. Snow-free areas include the southern Hebrides (notably Islay), the Mull of Galloway, the west coast of Cumbria, northwestern Anglesey, Portland Bill, and much of what is visible of Ireland. These may of course all just be dry, rather than warm.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Imran the term breed Penguins is all related to the cold and snow we are all having so you don't think it's relevant, well that's your prerogative, but was it really necessary to start another thread about the weather on here soon it will be a weather forum :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Conifers wrote:

It looks like every cloud (area of pressure etc) is curling in and entombing the UK!

from here

Much larger copy here. Well worth a look. Snow-free areas include the southern Hebrides (notably Islay), the Mull of Galloway, the west coast of Cumbria, northwestern Anglesey, Portland Bill, and much of what is visible of Ireland. These may of course all just be dry, rather than warm.
And even larger, the original from NASA, here. Amazing detail visible!
Nick

Post by Nick »

I swear I saw a flock/mass of penguins all huddled up together in a fild due to the cold weather that must have made them get lost on there way back to the ice flows :lol: :lol:
yet more snow heading from the east towards us from 11am tomorrow and snow showers until next Wednesday :( :( :(

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Have seen that pic from the UK on our dutch weather forum, looks quite cool but for only one day... :lol:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well penguins do not mean its a cold climate. You get them in South Africa, Peru and even the Galapagos Islands!

Alexander
Nick

Post by Nick »

Alexander :lol: :lol: your so right you do, I stand corrected, again as you said it don't necessarily mean it's that cold :ahhh!: :ahhh!: anyway well spotted at this hour :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not so cold here, and the forecasted snow did not materialise overnight. Minimum was +0.5C and a slight thaw set in softening the ice and snow. Definately a pleasant surprise icon_thumright Forecast now show an Altantic low trying to push in. If it does succeed was could see near normal temps. :ahhh!:

Only 7 weeks to the official start of spring icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

roll on summer when we will know what plants we can call hardy tropicals icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
(btw,the cruddy white stuff has started again here icon_thumbdown )
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure