Wow, what a January that was - The Ice age commeth - lol!

mixiepalms

Re: Wow, what a January that was - The Ice age commeth - lol!

Post by mixiepalms »

im no weather expert, but this winter has finally done some serious damage in my garden. sense we have more to come. not going to give up but the palms that survive stay, those that dont will be replaced with ricins and t rex,

mix
Nick

Post by Nick »

T-Rex yes, it here the ice age continues sadly, god it's cold here and a frost just to cheer us up whoopi Gee :x :x :x

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Si

Post by Si »

It's got to be said..this is getting depressing now, this micro climate and that, all scratching round for a few dgrees here and there, the bottom line is - it's an artic bloody country and this is the worst prolonged winter I can remember, freezing weather well in to March predicted... just two years ago we'd not had a frost in years here...global warming my 'arris :twisted:
Nick

Post by Nick »

I remember a winter like that about 3-4 years ago now Si, :( :( :( it's a little warmer here now,and wet.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Si

Post by Si »

Well Nick, it's the worst I can personally recall, certainly with a sustained (never ending) feel to it :?

The weather on metcheck has Kirkwall on the Orkney Isles! (400 MILES NORTH/EAST) btw, as not having a frost for the next three weeks where as there's one predicted near enough most nights here?
The bottom part of the north west (Cheshire, Gtr Mcr, Merseyside) will get down to -8 on Mar 3rd it says :shock: no fun this!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Si, I wouldnt worry about it being -8C in all of the regions stated above. There's no way Merseyside would be -8C as well as Manchester.

If Merseyside was going to be -8C I'd be more worried about the Manchester area reaching -15C again, it simply isn't going to happen.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Si, statistically the coldest is over, and even last year with the worst of the snow in Feb the average Max and Min were higher than the Jan. March can have cold snowy periods, in fact it was a prolonged snow in March 1972 the prompted me to buy my first Max/Min Thermometer. :wink: But just 2 year later Winter 1974 was almost frost free :)

I recall the chats I had with Angus White at Architectural Plants back in 1992/3/4. He had -19C at his nursery, and was probably the one who taught RHS about protecting their Musa basjoo. :lol:

He said he always removed the protection from the plants after Feb 16th as that was the last date hard freezes would occur. I have watched ever since and here, he was right, the really cold weather being in the first half of the month. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Its been lovely today,

Even too a walk.. :lol:

Cold again this evening though.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Nice here today for walking Kata, so has it 'Goneth' for good from England ?

On the news it still plagues Scotland though .... so it's not far away to make its presence felt again icon_thumbdown