Might be a bit premature but - WHEN WAS YOUR LAST FROST <0C

palmking

Might be a bit premature but - WHEN WAS YOUR LAST FROST <0C

Post by palmking »

I checked my records and it was 11 March.

Even with clear nights & calm NW winds its hardly dropping below 2C now at worst, so I think i'm safe to say here that's my last recorded Airfrost of the season.

I see woodford got to at least -0.5C overnight (11 miles away) . Probably the only place in Greater Manchester that did! :)

EDIT - It got to -0.8C ( a friend at work got to -0.7C at 600 asl in the Hills of Rochdale, too!).

Paul.
Last edited by palmking on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephenprudence

Re: Might be a bit premature but - WHEN WAS YOUR LAST FROST

Post by stephenprudence »

ooh I cant recall this probably the same time as you :-) Since then it hasn't been below 2C, In fact i cant remember when it last below 0C to be honest but it wasnt in the last 25-30 days.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Last time below zero was in the night from 8 to 9 March, dropped to -0,8C that night. Since then it even haven't below the 3C here anymore, but the next few days will be very clear during the nights, kind positive because there will be lovely sunny days, otherwise temperatures going to 1-3C if I have to believe the forecast. I'm always recording a bit higher then the forecast, so I don't think i'm going to see an airfrost as well the coming week.

Quite "normal" because since i'm holding the records from 2006 till now it happens only 4 times that I saw an airfrost in April. All the 4 times happend in April 2008, but not much colder then -1C so I will be fine here to and planting away the next few weeks.

Robbin
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Last time it dropped below freezing here was 30th January at -0.2C...

The lowest it got during February, & indeed March, was +0.5C...

So I am hoping I can safely assume I have seen the last of any air frosts now.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Last airfrost here was 8th March, and what an airfrost it was -4.1C :ahhh!: We don't get airfrost every April but the lastest I have recorded is 16th. Ground frost can occur here up to the first week in May. I normally start planting the beds up the week after May Bank Holiday. Don't plan to do anything over May Bank Holiday as so often we get heavy rain. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Still getting told to watch out for frost,

At night its cold enough here yet.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Some time in about a month and a half.
palmking

Post by palmking »

Wow, that's quite impressive Nathan. Quite a few similarities otherwise.

Yes, Dave I got a -5.5C :o in March -Don't usually record lower than around -2/3C at worst.

Lowest in April has been + 1.5C and a +1.7C but no ground frost .It's been a pretty dry Spring to date.

Last year apart from 1 anomoly on 27 March at -2 C , it was frost free from 12 February.
Paul.
Last edited by palmking on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palmking

Post by palmking »

Conifers wrote:Some time in about a month and a half.
Surely not!

:)

Paul.
stephenprudence

Last frost airfrost (and ground frost) was on the 11th March, with -1.1C.. the lowest in March I recorded was -2.6C! Quite low for March, usually the lowest well record is around between 0 and -1C, but then again what's 'usually'?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

palmking wrote:
Conifers wrote:Some time in about a month and a half.
Surely not!

Paul.
Perhaps not air frosts (last likely in around a month) but certainly ground frosts, even into the start of June.

The North Sea is still only around 8°C in May, so after a spell of NE winds (common in spring) the land temperature is the same; then a clear night with the wind dropping out can easily drop the eight degrees to give a frost.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote: The North Sea is still only around 8°C in May, so after a spell of NE winds (common in spring) the land temperature is the same;
Soil temp at 30cm is 10.9C here now.

Can't tell you what the average is for your area now as the Met office has pulled the data. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Yesterday, 8th April saw a ground frost here and it's not looking good tonight icon_thumbdown
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Friday last week,I recorded -.5c & there was ice on the roof outside my bedroom.Got down to zero here on Thursday this week,my thermometer is set at 4' off the ground.

I am expecting a frost here around May 25th.There is a bit of local lore around here that goes,'fog in March,frost in May'.We had thick fog here on March 25th,I know because I was coming home from work at 11.30pm & could only do about 30mph because the visibility was about 50metres.

metalhammer.
stephenprudence

If you end up getting frost on May 25th (or thereabouts) there should be massive cause for concern!