Might be a bit premature but - WHEN WAS YOUR LAST FROST <0C

palmking

Re: Might be a bit premature but - WHEN WAS YOUR LAST FROST

Post by palmking »

+1.3C here but too cold anyway - was even contemplating putting the heating back on (not since End March ) :)

Paul.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Last Tuesday we had a white frost but as soon as the sun come up it soon melted away, I was surprised to see such a white frost this far into May.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My first night on holiday and its been forecast a frost for tonight and wednesday.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Snowing in Otterburn (Northumbs) today

icon_thumbdown
collins99

Post by collins99 »

No snow in hexham today, and it has been quite sunny most of the day even though it has felt cold.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Dave Brown wrote: Ground frost can occur here up to the first week in May. I normally start planting the beds up the week after May Bank Holiday. Don't plan to do anything over May Bank Holiday as so often we get heavy rain. :wink:
I'll have to ammend the above now :roll: Not an airfrost, but a definate ground frost this morning. Temps fell to 1.3C which is the lowest I've recorded this late. A person around the corner planted out the whole front garden with Bizzy Lizzy last weekend :ahhh!:

They are governed by the calendar. All summer bedding goes out first week in May and is removed first week in Sept, where in my garden they go out when warm enough and continue to give a good show until the frosts. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

we are bordering the fostline here just keeping above it.2.7 last night,feels colder but not complaining.the suns come out and nearly 9.0 degrees now already icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Local weather reported -5° from Shap in Cumbria this morning.

One or two snow / sleet showers at the moment.
Last edited by Conifers on Wed May 12, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I think Shap may have even got down to -6C, probably rounded down though.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Temps down to -0.1 C in Frimley, Surrey last night.

Radio 4 reported the coldest May morning for 15 years on the today program this morning.

Just as I'd got all my Cannas and Ensetes out too! Hopefully the makeshift tent I threw over them last night worked, I'll find out when I get back from work I guess. Fingers crossed.
grub

Post by grub »

Last night!! No idea how low it went but it was low enough to burn the leaves on my Rex and Paulownia :evil:
palmking

Post by palmking »

In any year in the last 10 i'd have expected almost everyone to stop posting a month ago. This year has to be different . Two Cr*p summers and 2 crappe Winters and an appalling Spring now, with the prospect of a Third useless summer in a row - :( Yes I am Pi**ed off now).

-0.5C last night (so 1 in April and 1 in May, only remains for 1 in June to be a record), only dropped below for an hour or so did it drop below. It's not too cold for all the plants remaining but what really annoys me is the prospect of so few growing degree days for anything that needs a bit of heat, like palms at Base 12 (TMax+Tmin/2-12=GDD) . Of course, the Trachycarpus couldn't care less but all the same , it's now beyond a joke.

When I reach retirement age i'm off to Spain and I mean that . I've had enough.

Paul.
stephenprudence

Its just a blip, the normal years will return, and I mean normal, what we had in 1998-2007 in general wasn't normal either. I think the shock of going from excessively mild to excessively cold quite rightly annoys people, but I imagine in the next few years we will see the true average British weather return
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Stephen we are not in a run of English winters at this time, we are in a run of English summers with continental winters. The worst of all worlds :roll:

Yes, a traditional English winter had cold spells with ice days, but also had mild spells, unlike the winter we have just seen.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

I dont think these summers are a true representation of a British summer, I think we are definitely being short changed.

The fact we have been below the 1961-90 average says it all, generally summers should have been a little better on average than they are for the general part of UK. Of course some people may have had decent summers locally in 2007-2009 :-)

Interestingly the predicted high pressure for next week will be the first Azores ridging high pressure we have seen on a summer day since 2006.