Vanishing Threads.

Kyle

Vanishing Threads.

Post by Kyle »

Is there any obvious way of finding out why a thread has suddenly vanished?

I spent a reasonable amount of time earlier today giving a detailed answer to a problem posed by one of members, only for the whole thread to disappear without a trace. It feels like a complete waste of time. Not too happy. :(
Kristen

Re: Vanishing Threads.

Post by Kristen »

You SUBMITted it? or it died before you had the chance?

If I do a detailed answer I select-all and copy to clipboard (and sometimes paste to Notepad / Word).. Browser based "form filling" is complete crapola compared to a proper PC Application ... very fragile ... and not really the fault of the site (although perhaps the Forum Software could automatically save it for you in case of power cut / accident etc.)

You can use the SAVE button to save a draft as you go along. Did you press that, instead of SUBMIT perhaps? If so it will be in User control panel : Manage drafts - might be worth a look? (FingersCrossed)

The biggest risk on this particular Reply form, IMHO, is the CANCEL button. Dunno if it asks for confirmation, but I've certainly used forums where there is no confirm just BAM! gone :(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Just tried it. There is NO confirm on pressing CANCEL :( - so avoid that button at all costs
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

What was the thread? It may have been merged into an existing thread on the dame subject.

Dave doesn't tend to delete threads unless they become unsavoury.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Might have got held for "moderation" perhaps? Dunno if that happens here though (I doubt it if you are now upgraded to "Plus", but if not yet upgraded maybe that is the reason, in which case it will appear once reviewed.)
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

GoggleboxUK wrote:What was the thread? It may have been merged into an existing thread on the dame subject.

Dave doesn't tend to delete threads unless they become unsavoury.
It was someone else's thread - the one about keeping animals out of the garden. It got submitted and there were a couple of posts after it. Then gone.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kristen wrote:For info: Link to that thread:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 1&start=30
Message says, 'You are not authorised to use this forum'.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

If you ever lose something Kyle just go to your profile via the link button at the bottom of any of your posts then click See all member's posts. It will be in there.

The search function doesn't search Off Topic threads, just the important stuff.

l(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Kyle wrote:Message says, 'You are not authorised to use this forum'.
Ah, that probably explains it. Its in OFF TOPIC. I expect its been moved there by ADMIN. If you are not yet PLUS user you can't see OFF TOPIC. There are several posts from you in that thread :)

Still not upgraded? I did message Dave direct for you. Have to admit that the PLUS upgrade is not seamless here - but its only a one-time deal, hang in there ...
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kristen wrote:
Kyle wrote:Message says, 'You are not authorised to use this forum'.
Ah, that probably explains it. Its in OFF TOPIC. I expect its been moved there by ADMIN. If you are not yet PLUS user you can't see OFF TOPIC. There are several posts from you in that thread :)

Still not upgraded? I did message Dave direct for you. Have to admit that the PLUS upgrade is not seamless here - but its only a one-time deal, hang in there ...
Thank you for your help with all this, Kristen.

I hope that's the case. I wondered if it was removed because it's a delicate subject, and the answers can easily be offensive down to people's pre-conceptions.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Out of curiosity, if a member post's a thread, and sometime down the line decides to delete it, is it retrievable?

If so, a theoretical post 1000 pages long full of valuable information could simply be lost without trace.
I'd imagine other members would be less than pleased, if months of collaborative work and time just vanished into the ether.
kata

Post by kata »

You can't delete if someone follows your post,
If so, a theoretical post 1000 pages long
Its immaterial you can't delete as I said Kyle above...so only yours would be lost even if you posted 50,000 lines of text, that last post will be able by you to be deleted, as long as no poster follows no one else in that thread can delete.

Just be aware when you open a new topic that once someone replies you can't delete.

All forum software is different. I believe IPB allows a user to delete as does SMF. In both an admin has to enable/disable that option.

icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kyle, It was moved as we have had numerous topics about animals, particularly about cats. They normally start with grumbles about them, and nearly always end with someone suggesting how to harm them, and they are removed. As soon as I saw the the topic name, it was only a matter of time before it needed to be removed from a public forum. :roll:

Kirsten, there is no seemless transition to registered user plus as I vet all users before they are allowed access to write pms. If someone does not appear to be behaving well, they don't get upgraded. I've been unwell this week and no-one has been upgraded. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Kyle wrote:Out of curiosity, if a member post's a thread, and sometime down the line decides to delete it, is it retrievable?

If so, a theoretical post 1000 pages long full of valuable information could simply be lost without trace.
I'd imagine other members would be less than pleased, if months of collaborative work and time just vanished into the ether.
Once you've been here a while Kyle you'll learn that Dave moderates this forum exceptionally well with just his son to help out on technical issues. This is possible mainly because we are a friendly community who don't often descend to the kind of behaviour that warrants anything being deleted.

I'm not saying it never happense, just that unless you happen to be there as and when you'd never know it because Dave's moderating style matches up perfectly with the attitudes of 99% of people who use this forum.

Trolls tend to be quickly spotted and dealt with.

Be aware when you gain access to Off Topic though, if you're worried about losing valuable information in posts, these are automatically archived after a period of inactivity. If that's likely to upset you then it would be a good idea to treat the Off Topic forums as disposable and not waste too much time on them.