12%
possibly
No votes

Total votes: 17

Aidan Brown
Site Admin

wiki

Post by Aidan Brown »

not sure if anyone would use a wiki section on this site. if anyone thinks it would be a good idea vote in the poll!!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I guess it all depends on what it will contain. But in theory a great reference source.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I was not sure I understood what a wiki was. I think I'll say that again "what-a-wiki-was" :lol:

So I looked this up.

History
Main article: History of wikis

Wiki Wiki bus at Honolulu International AirportWiki Wiki is a reduplication of wiki, a Hawaiian-language word for fast. The word "wiki" is a shorter form of wiki wiki. WikiWikiWeb was the first site to be called a wiki, Ward Cunningham started developing WikiWikiWeb in 1994, and installed it on Internet domain c2.com on March 25, 1995. It was named by Cunningham, who remembered a Honolulu International Airport counter employee telling him to take the so-called "Wiki Wiki" shuttle bus line that runs between the airport's terminals. According to Cunningham, "I chose wiki-wiki as an alliterative substitute for 'quick' and thereby avoided naming this stuff quick-web.".

Cunningham was in part inspired by Apple's HyperCard. Apple had designed a system allowing users to create virtual "c a rd stacks" supporting links among the various c ar ds. Cunningham developed Vannevar Bush's ideas by allowing users to "comment on and change one another's text". In the early 2000s, wikis were increasingly adopted in enterprise as collaborative software. Common uses included project communication, intranets, and documentation, initially for technical users. Today some companies use wikis as their only collaborative software and as a replacement for static intranets. There may be greater use of wikis behind firewalls than on the public Internet.

On March 15, 2007, wiki entered the Oxford English Dictionary Online

Well does that explain it :roll:

I'm not sure how this will work. It seems a bit like a links page that everyone can write rather than just the webmaster. If that is the case I think it would be a good idea. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Darren Turner »

I'm familiar with Wikipedia and use it quite often.
But like you Dave, I'm not sure how it relates to a website :?:
Can we have plant files ?
For instance a page on Phoenix canariensis, our growing experiences, minimum temps, common names, etc.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

If like wikipedia we would be able to write and add our own bits to plants. Could be come a reference guide to what has survived temps etc?

Aido - how do you see it develop?
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

right to answer some of the questions:

yes users would be able to edit/add to the pages with there own info as was said survival temps etc.

each plant can have it's own page users can add them if one does not exists already

to be honest i dont know how it would develop, i could add content to start with from the current website pages, then away it goes. it could become a very usefull resource.

thats what i was thinking everyone could add there info to the pages. it can have a links page also which could once again be updated by anyone (who has registered).

i'm not sue if thats answered all the questions atm if not you know how to ask lol :D

a plan for later :

i'm not exactly sure how long it would take to set up etc all i've done so far is upload the files and install it, nothing more.

i will along with this (but not be dependant on) looking at making a site wide user login so that you only have to register once to be added to everything e.g. forum, gallery, wiki and chatroom. everyone who has already registered i will do this for you automatically (hopefully) it would mean that everyone could use any part of the site using one login and only having to login once to gain access to everything.

not sure how long that last bit will take
Mark

Re: wiki

Post by Mark »

Here's how the wiki works on B.org
http://www.bananas.org/wiki/Main_Page

it gives others a chance to read up on certain plants and see pictures of them in flower for IDing and so on.

I think it would be a good idea to have one.
paul h

Post by paul h »

I think it would be good save me getting embarased with begginer questions :oops: and help with id plants

Would there be any extra cost?
if so I would be happy.....could you let us know :D
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

there would be no extra cost to set up a wiki, i've installed it on our server already but i have not set it up in any way, and i havent looked at how it would have the password added from my 'under construction' user control area for the entire website.
helen

Post by helen »

Out of interest, which Wiki are you installing?
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

i've currently got installed media wiki the same one that powers wikipedia, but i have not really had time to do much research into it. if you know of one which is better for whatever reason if you let me know i will certainly consider it instead. the address for the wiki page is http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/wiki but there is nothing on there and it will probably be reset before goin live. as atm anyone can make changes

Aidan
helen

Post by helen »

media wiki is as good as any other for a knowledge base.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Had a quick look and created a page but now sure how you are supposed to use it yet. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

if you want to create a new page you do a search for what you want then click on the "create this page" link when it doesn't return any results, atm you 've just added it to the talk page, and as i said because it is not fully up and running your things may not be there when it goes live properly!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

so it is how the site layout is, that I don't know. :lol: Aido, mum says "Get to bed" :twisted:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright