Wiki

helen

Wiki

Post by helen »

Aiden, what about a separate 'technical stuff' section for the wiki?

And here is the first one. Can you please install the Inputbox extension.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
helen

Re: Wiki

Post by helen »

Also, file uploads are disabled, therefore can't add images
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

hi helen

i will look at adding it. thanks for the link. :D

btw the wiki is not ready yet hence not being able to upload. to be honest i uploaded and looked at the setup page and closed it again :shock: e.g. no logo. i will be working on it in the near future but i've got exams and things to do at the moment. i shall be working on the user area project for the entire site over the next few weeks and finishing the setup of the wiki. once i have got that ready i will be removing users from the wiki possibly and letting my script add them in when they request it from it's interface.

see here http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... ?f=2&t=493

Aidan
helen

Post by helen »

Aidan, I was playing on it today. I like Wikis but haven't used mediawiki before, so I was interested to see how it ticked.

I created a front page for the wiki. I built it in a new Sandbox portal I also created to keep the playing and learning area away from the operational areas. You can view my initial attempt here.

I created some portals, one per plant type. For example, bananas, aroids, cactus&succulents. Having these as portals will keep a structure to help findability. You can access these from the top right of the home page.

I have played with the Bananas portal (try clicking on it), where I created a landing page with holding areas of info.

I also created a number of templates: PlantSpecie, PlantCultivar, PlantGenus, etc. These are used to create new pages for maintaining plant knowledge. For example, on the Banana landing page, under the 'Create new banana page', you can see how someone would create a new plant info page. Where the code <inputbox...> exisits, this will be replaced by an entry field (for the page name) and button to create the new page. The inputbox extension is required in order to allow people to create pages based on these templates.

I also created a few other templates and pages (e.g. a Help portal - with a link to the support area on the hardy tropicals forum :), etc. It is also not possible for mere mortals to delete pages, so I create a Delete portal where people can move pages they no longer need, so you can clean them up when necessary.

Let me know what you think.... or anyone else, for that matter! But remember, your exams come first!!! :lol:
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

erm... WOW :shock: you quite obviously know what your doing, i have not used wiki's really before (well the creating parts) so if once it's setup correctly please please carry on :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Any news on the wiki yet ?

Also the hotspot map would be good to have up and running for all the new members we have who ask where certain places are in the uk.
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

I havent done anymore on the wiki as i am currently writing the registration area, i started it yesterday. once i have that working i will work on the wiki.

Aidan
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok Aido, There,s no hurry I just wondered what the state of play was.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Aido, you are supposed to be doing your exams :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

i've had a few days off, i needed a break, jonny's round here atm and we're doin revision now, well and i'm typing this as well but thats not the point.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Only joking .... Don't get stressed.. Just relax, and do your best :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright