redsquirrel

Re: Greetings from Bill in Southampton

Post by redsquirrel »

love the agave Bill,is it still ok?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
billdango

Post by billdango »

yes the agave is still okay for now ,but it was badly damaged by vandals who decided to have a knife slashing practice on it . it recovered ok only to have the same thing happen again last year ?. now its becoming a regular thing ,so i have planted a new agave in the center circle in my front garden .this one which is now about 3 feet high was slightly frost damaged but has made good recovery,and the yobs have left it alone so far .
rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Ste

Post by Ste »

I would hide behind it and when they attack - I would jump out and attack back!!! icon_rambo icon_rambo icon_rambo
Nick

Post by Nick »

I hope one falls into it,and gets it's spines well and truly deeply embedded in there hands arms etc.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Bill,you need a big puya icon_thumleft or some nice colletia round the perimeter icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

thanks everyone ,theres not much i can do as that bit of green belongs to the council . so unfortunatley i have to put up with the constant vandalism to my plants. :( :( :( :(
rgds billdango.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

I still think your going to turn round and say you live in the caribbean really! :lol: Looks fantastic! icon_cheers

Shame about the vandals, hopefully in years to come they will grow out of being pricks! icon_thumleft
Nick

Post by Nick »

Tropical Bob, you really don't get out much do you, everywhere down south is just as it looks in the photo, why go over seas at great expense when all you need do is just come down South :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
billdango

Post by billdango »

Here's a picture taken from my side entrance in January 2011.
There will be better one in July 2011.

Billdango. icon_profileleft icon_profileright
Attachments
100_1182.jpg
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Haha! I went Devon and Cornwall as a kid a lot and went through portsmouth to the IOW every other year but ive only ever been to southampton once which was last year and i didnt see anything looking like that :D Maybe i should have ventured out into the surrounding areas! One day i will pop down for the Boat Show and then i will have a better look around! icon_cheers

Nice pic Bill icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

billdango wrote:thanks everyone ,theres not much i can do as that bit of green belongs to the council . so unfortunatley i have to put up with the constant vandalism to my plants. :( :( :( :(
rgds billdango.

i'd just plant some bamboo or something else that looks nice but they would find very difficult to eradicate.

unless they come by checking on that bit of green often it's a no lose situation.
billdango

Post by billdango »

thats a good idea mr list but unfortunatly it won;t work.it is so hot and dry [the side wall
faces south east] any bamboo would boil to death in the summer. also some dongerilla would probably rip it out of the ground the first night,so thats a no go idea . what i can;t understand is how i lost my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in such a great spot .it started to keel over at only -2c so it was bloody useless. i won;t be wasting my time or money on any more of them in future. still look on the bright side of death ,at least i got 4 years out of it i suppose.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

you might have just answered your own question Bill,could your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP have died of thirst maybe?
billdango

Post by billdango »

thanks red squirrel,i am going to plant another t fortuni in its place ,at least they seem to manage . actually i made a mistake on last posting ,my side wall actually faces south west not south east ;sorry billdango. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

billdango wrote:thats a good idea mr list but unfortunatly it won;t work.it is so hot and dry [the side wall
faces south east] any bamboo would boil to death in the summer. also some dongerilla would probably rip it out of the ground the first night,so thats a no go idea . what i can;t understand is how i lost my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in such a great spot .it started to keel over at only -2c so it was bloody useless. i won;t be wasting my time or money on any more of them in future. still look on the bright side of death ,at least i got 4 years out of it i suppose.

a few houses just down the road from me had little patches of green to the sides of their houses.
they have just rebuilt their fences so instead of a front garden and a back garden they have one big garden going all around their houses, claiming the bits of green as their own.

you should just think of something and have a go.
maybe plant a hedge to claim some of the ground?
cultivate the land in some way that it directs foot traffic away from the parts of you garden you want to protect?