New Member - Palm root bound pruning?

callin

New Member - Palm root bound pruning?

Post by callin »

Hi to all, i salut you .
Please excuse my bad english writing.
I m new in HT and i don t know if i post corect here.
I am a big fan of DAVE. I love his paradise garden .
Unfortunately i live in a concrete block so i don t have a backyard to display my young plants.
I have a question if someoane can help me with. last summer i planted some palms Robusta. some filifera,Trachycarpus, sabal palmetto. After sprouting i potted them in 2 litters cut plastic water bottle.They grow wery well in my south oriented window of the apartment where i live. Washingtonia is around 50 cm in hight and thik as the big thum. But i observed that in the botom of the bottle 3 of 4 big roots are very crumbled and twisted. i want to pot it in bigger pot but the question is : should i cut those root bounded roots or should i let them be?
Thank you for you patience.
I wish you all good strong health and enormous and vigurous exotic plants in your homes and gardens. THANK YOU.
Last edited by Dave Brown on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Post generated from a PM received by Dave Brown
jimhardy

Re: New Member - Palm root bound pruning?

Post by jimhardy »

I don't think you need to trim them.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi callin, and welcome icon_salut

I'd agree with Jim, they will not need cutting. It may hold the palm back if they are removed. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hi Callin, maybe you should be thinking about smaller palm species for your situation. :D

There are some interesting palms that will look good outside most,if not all of the year, yet never grow too large for a pot.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hello Callin,dont worry about english,even english people cant work it out sometimes icon_thumright icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
callin

Post by callin »

Thanks for support.
In my situation , yes it be suitable some small species, but i have a problem to that.. I like them HUGE :ahhh!: the bigger the better. I ll try to make them as big as i can, even if i ll have to muve them during the summer in a garden in full sun.
What can i say ?. thats it. Orr..may be i ll win at lotery and buy a backyard all for myself :)
Thank you and i ll be back with pictures.
good night