Hello! from London

Andy2cool

Hello! from London

Post by Andy2cool »

Hello

My name is Andy,23 from London. When i was younger I always used to be out in the garden with my mum helping out. But then, as a teenager I moved on to other interests lol.

2 years ago I re-found my love for gardening and decided to study horticulture at college (currently still going on)

Tropical plants fascinate me

Looking forward to hanging out with like minded people and learning new things :)

Here are some pics of the garden from last year:

its changed a lot since then, Ill upload some recent pics later this week.

thanks!
GoggleboxUK

Re: Hello! from London

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum, it certainly looks like you've got green fingers and your garden looks great. I especially like the candlelit pic, great atmosphere!

:D
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Hi there, young Andy from Twickenham.

Looks like you've done a great job. Very interesting how you've gone for warm colours with regards to the foliage of some of your plants, the Acers, cordylines, phormiums, ensetes, cannas, etc...... Ties in well with the brown trunks of the tree ferns.

Anyway, a really good planting scheme with a diverse range of plants, including Kata's favourite (Acer palmatum). Nothing looks out of place... Sometimes you see Yuccas under the shade of Dickosnias and it just doesn't look right, but your garden seems very well balanced.

Also think the lighting and redefining the edge of the lawn has helped a lot too. Am I right in thinking that you've achieved all this only using 1 palm, which might be a Butia? Presuming you kept them in situ, did you lose any of the red cordylines when the big freeze set in? Most of them round here died, unlike the green ones which seem to have survived if they were big enough.
Andy2cool

Post by Andy2cool »

Thanks for the quick replies much appreciated.

Aye only had a Butia to start with :) But there are more palms now : Chamaerops humilis, Trachycarpus fortunei, Chamaedorea microspadix

Both Cordylines suffered and are now mere stumps. But have noticed some activity.

I will have to take a few more pictures tomorrow as there is a large diffence from last year. We now have a greenhouse at the end of the garden :D and "re-decorated' the shed
bev

Post by bev »

Welcome andy, you've made a great job of your garden icon_thumleft

Cheers

Lee
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

love your garden...just the planting I love! Looking forward to your new pictures!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Hellooooo Andy,

Horticultral College has paid off...beautiful begining especially the lighting, always a welcome addition to any garden.

My own garden is like Blackpool Illuminations.

Welcome to the forum, we're bound to learn a few tricks from you too.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Andy icon_thumleft
Mo

Post by Mo »

Great garden Andy! Welcome to the forum.

Mo
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome Andy. Great garden that you have created there icon_salut
Simba

Post by Simba »

Loving your cluster of tree ferns aside of the water feature....especially illuminated at night, looks terrific... icon_thumleft
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome Andy, you've worked wonders there. Did your Dicksonia antarctica's survive the winter OK?
Andy2cool

Post by Andy2cool »

Hello all.
My camera is now working again! So here are some pictures from 2011 :

We now have an ELITE Greenhouse, this took AGES to assemble and was very stressful lol.

My friend Lawrence and I covered the Shed in bamboo screening and backing posts that we got cheap from Wilkinsons

We have blue tots in the birdhouse too

here some pics I took 10 minutes day ago:

There's still lots more I need to add :0

thanks
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Looking really good! You're working your magic on that garden for sure.

I like your shed makeover but a couple of these and a roll of reed screening on the roof would really complete the look:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cape-reed-thatch- ... 3367a21249

;)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

looking good Andy icon_thumright

GB, the thatched roof idea is good, but those strips would work out quite pricey. I'd get the reed or birch screening . The reed is 4m x 2m for £20 :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright