Hello From Guildford, Surrey

Gouldie445

Hello From Guildford, Surrey

Post by Gouldie445 »

Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for years but finally decided to join the clan and say hello. It seems like a great place to share ideas and seek advice.

I have enclosed a few pics of last seasons garden as I don't have anything for this year yet, but looking really good and obviously loving the almost Med weather of late.

Most of my tender stuff is potted on our patio and is overwintered any which way I can think of... casualties are numerous and much mourned!

The garden was a simple lawn when we moved in so I dug out large borders and have tried to fill them with more unusual plants, but the patio is where I base my real gems ( courtesy of Plantbase! )

Anyway its good to be in the company of so many people who are passionate about the type of plants that most of us have right to be growing in the UK. Think how boring it would be without them.

Regards

Kev
Nigel Fear

Re: Hello From Guildford, Surrey

Post by Nigel Fear »

Welcome Kev, remember to post pics when you've sussed out how to do it, and don't be afraid to try replacing some of your 'dead' stuff, you'll get tips later in the year on how to protect them better. :D
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Kev icon_cheers
Gouldie445

Post by Gouldie445 »

Cheers for the welcome. Now lets see if I can master the art of uploads! Here we go...
Attachments
DSC_0035 [800x600].jpg
DSC_0037 [800x600].jpg
DSC_0040 [800x600].jpg
DSC_0042 [800x600].jpg
DSC_0045 [800x600].jpg
kata

Post by kata »

I've been reading these forums for years but finally decided to join the clan and say hello.
Nooooooooooo!!

Welcome to the forums Kev. That garden looks the business already. How did you go on over the winter, which palms and plants did you fleece, or not?

Sounds like a theft more than a covering.....fleece. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun here, you will be in time for Akamba and meet the members in real time..most. Prepare to spend too.
icon_cheers

NOTE
Just looked at your location. I adopted a dog from a kennel in Guilford...The Kynismar kennel, she is in France now. She showed her Bichon Frisé champions quite often at Crufts, and won BIS just as often.
Last edited by kata on Sat May 07, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome Kev, glad you decided to join in.

:DD
Gouldie445

Post by Gouldie445 »

The pics are from the tail end of last year. If this weather keeps up this year should be much better for all of us. My big suprise was my beloved Lobelie Tupa survived in the garden yet again. I love that thing! I pot up the tender patio stuff in plastic pots which fit snuggly into the terracota pots. That way i can easily bring them in over winter. My wife hates it but our place is a mess during winter months as I invade the porch and log cabin with the plants. I will do anything to get them through! Like the rest of you I am obssesed with growing stuff that just should not be grown in the UK, and I dont even have a conservatory! Anyway nearly all my plants came through and are now flourishing outside. Its such a relief to see the new growth and get the thumbs up! At this rate this summer may even force my Caesalpinia Gillesi into flower! Got good growth on all Lantanas, Alocasias, Abutilons, Agave, Cestrums, Brugmansia and Solanum. My sheltered Cordys are ok but my 10 year garden specimen is not looking good. Even the most mature Cordys seem to have taken severe hits this year. Such a shame.

Anyway thanks for the welcome. Nice to meet everyone. Ta

Ps Anyone have any luck with their Phormiums??
kata

Post by kata »

Oh Kev,

We expect our homes to look like Homebase during the coldest months. I lost a Trachi f, I never protected it, also lost the English version of red Cordyline It just fell sideways...dong.. :lol:

Touch wood I saved a Cycas, the only palm I own by triple fleece bagging it and bringing it under shelter. My back garden is pretty sheltered in parts.

As the snow melted in sun so the snow froze on the fleece.

icon_cheers