Hi from Plymouth

Trainer John

Hi from Plymouth

Post by Trainer John »

Just joined the forum after lurking for a couple of months and thought I'd better introduce myself before adding any postings.

Back when I started gardening over 30 years ago I never thought of my interests as being in hardy tropicals - but I was interested in good foliage and, once you've started down that road, it's not long before exotics come into the garden. Over the years I've grown a lot - and lost a lot.

The last three years have been particularly bad. A combination of 2 bad winters and my own neglect (illness and pressures of work) left the garden in a bad state. I'm gradually getting it back into shape (I'm not looking forward to the section where my winter gale wrecked greenhouse has become overgrown with brambles) but there is still a lot of clearing and replanting to do. However, despite all the gaps, I've been left with a legacy of some mature exotics as a framework around which I can rebuild the garden over the next couple of years. Here's a few shots.

Eriobotrya japonica and Fatsia japonica at the end of the rear garden. Camellia 'Cornish Snow' just peeking in from the right.

Looking west from the 'patio'. Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata' and Phormium 'Evening Glow' are the two most prominent plants, with a decent size Chaemerops humilis in front of Phyllostachys nigra and Acca sellowiana that I'm training into a small evergreen tree. Crocosmia 'Lucifer' takes up too much of the border.

Another view of the west border:

I have a central bed to divide the rear garden into two. This view shows the remaining plants. Cordyline 'Coffee Cream', Acer palmatum dissectum viridis, Camellia 'Anticipation', Chusquea coulou and Hydrangea aspera ssp sargentiana. They'll be joined shortly by a Musa basjoo to replace the remains of Euphorbia mellifera.

Part of the bottom half of the rear garden. Trachycarpus fortunei (grown from a baby) and Hydrangea aspera ssp sargentiana are prominent.

Add in a decent sized Dicksonia, Ipomea indica as a returning perennial on the south wall of the house and quite a lot of other interesting stuff in the front garden and the massive gaps don't seem so bad. Lots of scope for new planting within an existing framework!

Back in 1997 I set up a website - John and Maria's Gardening Pages - which ran very successfully for a few years before I found it too onerous to maintain. I've now revived it as a blog, http://johnrichmond100.blogspot.com/. It's not exclusively about exotic gardening but there are bound to be a few posts of interest.

Let's hope next winter isn't as bad as the last one.

John
GoggleboxUK

Re: Hi from Plymouth

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hi John, welcome to the forum.

You have a superb framework of exotics to build on, I'd love to be in your position. Your garden may be overgrown but mine is undergrown and I'm a new but impatient gardener.

Look forward to getting to know you and seeing your progress.

;)
kata

Post by kata »

Hey welcome John,

You sure you never just nipped and bought all that...wow superb garden. icon_cheers icon_cheers

Get well soon. If anything will rally you it will be the haven of your garden. Its where I go when I need peace.

icon_cheers
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Welcome icon_thumleft You should be able to get away with growing some quite tender stuff in Plymouth with your winter lows being similar to what we get here in Portsmouth :D
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Welcome John you have an impressive garden. I particularly liked Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata'. Now Im not known for liking spiky things and my own name for them is yucka, but Ive gotta admit that it really is glorious!

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Sean
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi John, and welcome icon_salut

You do have a good framework and with the mildish winter temps (compared to most of us) Anything you plant will probably romp away. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard John icon_cheers .
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Even though I'm in Plymouth I'm on the northern edge, 260ft up, and closer to Dartmoor than the sea so it gets a bit colder than you might think. Mind you, -8C and a week's worth of frozen ground last December following on from a similar spell the previous January was quite a bit colder than is usual for down this way. So the tender stuff was hit two winters in a row - hence all the gaps. I've lost a well established clump of Musa basjoo, Musella lasiocarpa, Musa 'Tandara Red', Cann iridiflora 'Ehmanii', Cycas revoluta, Sparmannia africana, Euphorbia mellifera, Passiflora 'Lavender Lady' and 'Constance Elliott', a big Phoenix canariensis, a medium Washingtonia and a small Butia capitata and lots of understory stuff including my canna collection.

No matter, it just gives me chance to refurbish the garden and replant with things I didn't have the room to grow before.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi John,thats the way we are looking at the losses too now. different stuff to try and all that. only yesterday i bought a cardiocrinum gigantae because i saw them at kew,always something new to play with icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi and welcome John. icon_thumright
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

We were in Plymouth recently & went to Endsleigh Garden Centre in Ivybridge. Nice big place, a bit pricey, but good quality plants icon_thumleft