Hello from Hampshire!

Carl

Hello from Hampshire!

Post by Carl »

Hello - been reading the forum for a while now, thought I should finally sign up!

We're currently renovating our garden after buying a house with a garden that had been completely neglected for ten years. Our weeds were trees - self seeded sycamores and ash. I've spent the last few years digging them all out, and replanting with tropical looking stuff where I can. We lost so much stuff last year - I'd kept bananas going overwinter for the last four years by moving them to our polytunnel for the winter, but lost all bar two of them this year. Got to -18 here :(

We've been on a tight budget, so many of our plants have been seed grown. Best tip from this forum yet was about the Landgard sale - went there today and got a four foot tree fern, 4 Trachys, 2 Callistemon, 3 Yucca gloriosa, and 3 small cordyline, all for £85! :shock: Always wanted a Dicksonia, first time I've seen a decent sized one I could afford!

Carl
kata

Re: Hello from Hampshire!

Post by kata »

Welcome Carl,

I grow my flowers from seed as well as buy them. I find growing from seed gives me the edge over paying over the odds at nurseries and DIY.
Sounds like you got the 'deal of the day' today..good!

Lets have a look soon.

Welcome by the way.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Carl.

Your trip sounds like it was well and truly worth it, some great plants for that price.

Get some pics uploaded, I'd love to see how your garden looked then and now if you have them.

:DD
bev

Post by bev »

Welcome carl icon_thumleft

Sounds like you had a result!

Cheers

Lee
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Carl icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Welcome......and it seems you got a good haul there for £85 icon_thumleft post some pics.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome Carl icon_salut
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hello Carl icon_thumright sounds like we will have to make the trip to the sales one day. icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Carl, and welcome icon_salut

I know what you mean about trees, I had a self sown ash and when I tried getting it out about 5 years later the roots were about 6 inches think, like a huge Anaconda snaking through the garden. :ahhh!:

Good haul, but unfortunately too far for me to make it viable :roll: 4ft Dicksonia antarctica is about £60 cheapest normally, so you did well icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Carl »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone - will try and figure out how to add photos now!

Cheers, Carl