hi from buxton

GREVILLE

Re: hi from buxton

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi, El P icon_cheers

Thanks for joining the forum. We'll all be measuring our successes against yours.
"If this survived high up in Buxton we can grow it down here" :D
el paso

Post by el paso »

I thought id post a few pics from last april.ionly intended to lift a few flags to extend the patio border across the front of the bamboo but after id dug out about 2 ton of stone and laid the sleeper edging i decided it would make a good water feature(note to self never build a pond under a bamboo) then thought it needed new flags down so while i was doing this i decided to square of the other side of the patio to match the pond
Attachments
rps20110706_211212.jpg
rps20110706_211123.jpg
rps20110706_211100.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

That looks awesome El

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looks very professional! As the bamboo can't spread into your garden I'm thinking it will pay a visit to your neighboors.
el paso

Post by el paso »

If it does it would be the only plant in their garden so maybe not a bad thing.its been in now for about 8or 9 years but never really had anywhere to go as it was surrounded by patio next doors is all flaged as well so will be intresting to see if it starts popping up anywhere
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
your garden looks great. Love the patio and water feature and slate and stones. They all go so well together. I want a water feature now after seeing yours. You have some lovely plants too,

Cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

QUALITY work on the patio on pond!!! Love your garden. How are your winters generally?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
el paso

Post by el paso »

the winters are generally long and cold. for the last 2 we have had -19 on a few nights with it staying below freezing for the majority of the coldest months suprisingly this winter wasnt to bad atall it was only the dreadfull december the rest was quite mild really. before that it used to peak around -10 but get back above freezing most days
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

That's some serious cold. Let's all hope its a nice mild one this year.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
dave rev

Post by dave rev »

buxton im from chesterfield, and was at buxton college in the mid 70s i think it was june the 1st or 2nd and the cricket had to be called off because of snow it was a monday, and by the end of the week it was 77 f by friday and i think buxton is about 11000 feet above sea level but keep trying elpaso you,ll have some good results among youre tragedys
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Dave rev icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Welcome icon_thumleft
Nice garden, i love that water feature and the paving is very well done.
dave rev

Post by dave rev »

thanks grub for the welcolm ,thought i were never make contact, not very computer literate although its been good reading all yer posts and interesting stuff, im a keen enthusiast with more failures than success,but now n again something good spurs you on one of my plants that did well and i suppose quite surprised me despite encouraging reports ,was my musa basjoo from eden project back in 2001,last year we had-15 and -18 and it was the first year ididnt protect it but it came back although it took most of the summer to do so it cost me £3.99 in a 3inch square pot.once again thanks for the welcolm
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

dave rev wrote:thanks grub for the welcolm ,thought i were never make contact, not very computer literate although its been good reading all yer posts and interesting stuff, im a keen enthusiast with more failures than success,but now n again something good spurs you on one of my plants that did well and i suppose quite surprised me despite encouraging reports ,was my musa basjoo from eden project back in 2001,last year we had-15 and -18 and it was the first year ididnt protect it but it came back although it took most of the summer to do so it cost me £3.99 in a 3inch square pot.once again thanks for the welcolm

Welcome Dave. icon_salut
dave rev

Post by dave rev »

thanks yorkshire kris, just realized in an earlier post i said buxton was 11000 ft above sea level i meant 1100 ft sorry, not the andean and hymalayan proportions although sometimes in winter it can feels like it.