hi from cornwall

pat

hi from cornwall

Post by pat »

hi to all, im a new member from south coast cornwall. Ive been growing the odd tropical for years but now would like to turn over more of the garden to a bigger tropical bed. My first question on planning this is "what is the optimum situation for a tropical bed" ie full sun, part shade etc.
GoggleboxUK

Re: hi from cornwall

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome to HTUK pat.

The answer to your question is....

It depends what you want to put in it. There are loads of tropicals suitable for both.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Pat icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK wrote:
The answer to your question is....

It depends what you want to put in it. There are loads of tropicals suitable for both.
What he said :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Hi
Welcome to HTUK.
This forum is fantastic, i've learnt so much since joining this year. You'll find it really helpful.

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Pat,whereabouts in cornwall? if you are down on the falmouth penninsula,you are spoilt for choice icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Pat, Wishing you a very warm welcome on a cold December evening. Enjoy the forum, great bunch on here, lots of knowledge, so ask any questions you like and someone will have an answer :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

Hi Pat and welcome to the forum - you have many choices for tropicals living on the south coast of Cornwall.
What Palms do you have at the moment?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome!
pat

Post by pat »

Thank you for the warm welcome. To answer the few questions i am in St Austell about 1 mile from the south coast itself, I have had cordylines in the garden for years, never think about protecting them in the winter, also phoenix canariensis and i have a massive Musa basjoo with 4 trunks on although i do wrap this in the winter. Ive also had various yuccas and succulents outside for quite a few years. I fancy planting more bananas and colocasia and that type of large leaved tropicals. We are quite lucky down here in the fact that even frost is quite rare, although like everyone the last two winters were quite a shock, and not just to the plants. The last snow before that must have been about 20 years ago, heres hoping for a normal on this year.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Welcome Pat icon_thumleft
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome Pat, I'm jealous of where you live.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

welcome Pat...quite a nice bunch here....im a newbie myself