Pineapple propogation

Mike G

Pineapple propogation

Post by Mike G »

Hi i am a new user, Horticultural student and a very enthusiastic grower of the strange and bizzare of the plant world. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to propagate pineapples as all my previous attempts have failed Thanks Mike
grub

Re: Pineapple propogation

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Mike icon_thumleft , I remember seeing this one a while ago http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/P ... eapple.htm
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum, sorry can't offer any advice on your pineapple problem, hopefully someone will :D
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Mike first of all welcome icon_cheers

Now to pineapples. First step break the top off a pineapple and strip the lower leaves leaving an exposed portion of stem. This is where the new roots come out from in between each leaf base. You might need to strip away up to half the leaves to get a decent piece of stem exposed to grow good roots, but you dont want to starve the new plant of food either so dont go crazy.

Pot that up in a well drained but rich medium and put it somewhere hot and sunny or by a bright window indoors. Keep the soil moist but dryer in cool weather and fertilise with good foliar fertiliser with nitrogen and phosphorus values and away it should go. Seaweed solution gives good results as well.

Takes 3 or more years to fruit from a top here in the tropics, I imagine it would take a fair bit longer where you are. Once you get a fruiting plant the 'slips' that the mother plant produces around her sides can be potted on and should fruit in half the time as a top.

Funny thing is I did this with a pineapple top a few weeks back and wondered if it would be worthwhile posting some pics and a how to... Will do it next time I plant one.

Enjoy your time here Mike icon_thumleft
Last edited by Troppoz on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Hi Mike , welcome icon_thumleft

pineapples..........tried 4 times and failed four times but i will try again :lol:
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Thanks everyone i will definitely keep trying i am garunteed a top every week (my grandma buys a pineapple each week) they are beautiful plants i have seen a fruiting one grown under glass
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome Mike!

Pineapples as Troppoz says. This worked for me several years ago.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Welcome to the forum Mike! icon_thumleft

Troppoz sounds like some good advice so i think its worth giving it a go that way!

Scott
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Whenever i have tried it before i have pulled the top off (that way no fruit is left on to rot.) I then take off about an inch of the leaves. After this it is straight in to well drained compost. I should probably keep trying and not give up yet
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

grub wrote:Welcome aboard Mike icon_thumleft , I remember seeing this one a while ago http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/P ... eapple.htm
Hi Mike, Welcome.

Nice one Grub icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Mike icon_cheers

Keep up your fruity posts :wink:

Managed to get a pineapple going many years ago, but lost it when I forgot to water it before going on an extended holiday - yes, to a place where they had pineapples by the dozen :shock:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Pretty much as Troppoz says, but I had them so the base was in water in a glass, they usually root in the water after 2-3 weeks then pot them up. Here's one I grew last June.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Here's the pic I hope!
Attachments
pine3.jpg
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

wow you can actually root them by water??

I shall be experimenting as soon as I get to sainsburys!! haha
grub

Post by grub »

The trick is to wist out the leaves and remove the lower leaves, the roots are there they just want coaxing out :wink: