Pineapple propogation

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Pineapple propogation

Post by cheshirepalms »

Yes as grub says, when you remove the lower leaves you can usually see embryo roots on the stalk that you create by removing 40% of the leaves. Place the pineapple crown so that the bottom 1/2 inch is covered with water. ( HALF PINT GLASS IS IDEAL) hopefully these rootlets will grow and then pot up. I did try some straight into compost and that can work too. Pick the pineapple with the greenest undamaged leaves for the best chance, good luck. Mine has grown steadily even over winter on a windowsill down to 14 degrees most nights.
call

Post by call »

ive tried two times but both failed epicly
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I planted mine in 50:50 compost and grit and barely watered it. :)
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

If it's spiky leaved Bromeliads you're after, why not try growing Puyas, Hechtias & Dyckias, all slightly hardier pineapple relatives.

When we visited Heligan, they were growing and fruiting in cold frames filled with manure which was how the wealthy obtained fresh pineapples in Victorian times.
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Pineapple for afters tomorrow - just instructed er indoors that i'll be removing the top! icon_study
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Hello Guys just got one today and put it in water i know its ages since i posted it i have been busy with college and other things so we shall see how it does!!
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

I rooted mine straight in to gritty compost last year and it's now growing happily away. One thing I will say is the central leaves must be healthy, if the growing point is dead/dying it won't survive no matter how good the outer leaves look icon_salut
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hmm, now you've bumped this, I have a craving for fresh pineapple and carnation milk!
Will get SWMBO to get one for the weekend....6th time lucky with the rooting maybe :wink: