Hello From Ellesmere Port!

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Hello From Ellesmere Port!

Post by cheshirepalms »

So glad I've found this site, the information and ideas are amazing! I have recently moved into a house, where for the first time I can have a garden. I've all ways been into growing tropical and sub tropical plants, but have in the past been limited to pots. The garden was a mess when we moved in, but I'm working on making a little tropical oasis hopefully. So far I have planted (that I would consider tropical looking):

-Phoenix canariensis
-Chamaerops humilis
-Cordyline australis
-Agapanthus africanus
-Kniphofia uvaria

And have these in pots in the greenhouse (some as seedlings)

-Washingtonia robusta
-Trachycarpus fortune
-Olea europaea
-citrus (clementine)
-citrus (lemon)
-figs
-Musa basjoo

In addition I've been able to grow avocados, mangoes, pineapples and dragon fruits from seed indoor, I might move them to the greenhouse in may.

Here are some pictures so far, any comments or ideas would be good. And opinions of whether my plants will be ok.
Attachments
garden1.jpg
garden2.jpg
garden3.jpg
These were planted in Oct 2011.
These were planted in Oct 2011.
The greenhouse, low was -5.6 this year!
The greenhouse, low was -5.6 this year!
garden6.jpg
garden7.jpg
garden8.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Re: Hello From Ellesmere Port!

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome to HTUK CP, enjoy the forums.

;)
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome CP. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your garden, it's a challenge but highly rewarding.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi and welcome, Cheshirepalms icon_cheers

I assume from your user name and the pics, you must be into palms :wink:

Does the proximity of water moderate your local climate?
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

We tend to be 2/3 degrees milder on nights than central Cheshire on average, but perhaps 1/2 degrees lower on sunny days than inland cheshire. I think because the Mersey estuary is only a mile away it definitely gives us a coastal type climate for the uk.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Welcome aboard Cheshire. Your not too far from me. Look forward to hearing about your success with Dragon fruit cactus as i`m growing some of these myself. Would also be interesting to hear how you do with Phoenix canariensis_CIDP cos i`ve more or less given up on those round these parts.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Welcome, I'm not too far away from you in Heswall, that's a nice start you have there. icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

hi stephen, have you any pictures of your garden on here as I think we have a very similar climate, so I can see what can be grown up in this area?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I'll add some tomorrow.. just about to head to bed now icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome Chehire

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Breizhman

Post by Breizhman »

Why did you give up the Phoenix Canariensis, ? In Rhyl , as it is located on 9 area , it should grow well normally :shock: What may have happened with your's?

Andy P wrote:Welcome aboard Cheshire. Your not too far from me. Look forward to hearing about your success with Dragon fruit cactus as i`m growing some of these myself. Would also be interesting to hear how you do with Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) cos i`ve more or less given up on those round these parts.
Breizhman

Post by Breizhman »

cheshirepalms wrote:
Congratulations for your garden ! Your Phoenix may grow fast , what kind of citrus do you have ?

-Washingtonia robusta
-Trachycarpus fortune
-Olea europaea
-citrus (clementine)
-citrus (lemon)
-figs
-Musa basjoo

In addition I've been able to grow avocados, mangoes, pineapples and dragon fruits from seed indoor, I might move them to the greenhouse in may.

Here are some pictures so far, any comments or ideas would be good. And opinions of whether my plants will be ok.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Welcome to the forum. icon_cheers

Looking at your images, it seems you are surrounded by lots of trees beyond the front and back of the house. My advice would be to take stock of this and use it to your advantage when it comes to planning your garden.

The most commonly overlooked aspect of a new garden design (IMO) is to take account of the surrounding landscape. Stand around various points of your land (and from the windows of your house) and note all the things you ultimately want to hide from view. Work out their heights from each aspect and research lots of plants. You want maximum light and maximum privacy.

Approached correctly, it can ultimately make the difference of your established garden feeling like another garden in a street or your own endless private oasis.

Good luck with everything and have fun!

Kyle
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Cheshirepalms icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Breizhman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:
Congratulations for your garden ! Your Phoenix may grow fast , what kind of citrus do you have ?

-Washingtonia robusta
-Trachycarpus fortune
-Olea europaea
-citrus (clementine)
-citrus (lemon)
-figs
-Musa basjoo

I have a clementine that I grew from seed 14 years ago although its on its last legs after taking a hammering from the winter 2010/11. Also have a small lemon plant.