BUTIA

PTOC

BUTIA

Post by PTOC »

Hi
Could anyone tell me which of the Butias is the most hardiest.

Thanks
Lee
billdango

Re: BUTIA

Post by billdango »

Butia Capitata is perfectly hardy in Southampton.

As for the other species I just don't know,Maybe other forum members can advise you on this.

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
jezza

Post by jezza »

I'm in buckinghamshire not that far away from you and i have never been able to get a butia through winter. Eriospathia is supposed to be hardiest.....i think icon_scratch 8)
Rod

Post by Rod »

PTOC wrote:Hi
Could anyone tell me which of the Butias is the most hardiest.

Thanks
Lee
Hi Lee ~ Butia eriospatha
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

jezza wrote:I'm in buckinghamshire not that far away from you and i have never been able to get a butia through winter. Eriospathia is supposed to be hardiest.....i think icon_scratch 8)
Really? How mature are the ones you have tried? Do you try and protect them?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

its more to do with jezzas winter lows,hes had Trachycarpus killing
temps
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
billdango

Post by billdango »

I would like to try to grow Butia Eriospatha here in Southampton but I have never seen any for sale?

As Butia capitata grows well here Eriospatha should be a doddle.

billdango. :D
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

billdango wrote:I would like to try to grow Butia Eriospatha here in Southampton but I have never seen any for sale?

As Butia capitata grows well here Eriospatha should be a doddle.

billdango. :D
Nigels selling Butia Eriospathas Bill.
jezza

Post by jezza »

photonbucket wrote:
jezza wrote:I'm in buckinghamshire not that far away from you and i have never been able to get a butia through winter. Eriospathia is supposed to be hardiest.....i think icon_scratch 8)
Really? How mature are the ones you have tried? Do you try and protect them?
redsquirrel wrote:its more to do with jezzas winter lows,hes had Trachycarpus killing
temps
Chesham is twinned with greenland! :lol: -13c in '09/'10, -19c in '10/'11, -18c this feb. I started off with 6 trachys and i'm now down to three. Even one of george's large waggys has 4 fronds damaged this year.

The three capitatas i've had were only small 3 to 4 footers. I gave them all heavy protection but with winter temps in the minus teens they stood no chance. Every cordyline in the entire town was wiped out, numerous large phormiums around the town also killed off.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi, Lee, this is not as easy to answer as you may think! Erios are regarded as the best suited for the UK. This is due to there ability to stand more wet than the rest, and not because they can the stand the cold any better. What are the minimum temperature you have had over the last 2 winters, and are you in a high or low rainfall area in the winter?

Billdango, Try EBay I bought a nice one 4 years ago and still have it. icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

jungle jas wrote:Hi, Lee, this is not as easy to answer as you may think! Erios are regarded as the best suited for the UK. This is due to there ability to stand more wet than the rest, and not because they can the stand the cold any better. What are the minimum temperature you have had over the last 2 winters, and are you in a high or low rainfall area in the winter?

Billdango, Try EBay I bought a nice one 4 years ago and still have it. icon_thumright

Thanks Jungle Jas

I will give E Bay a try.

rgd billdango icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i can send a couple of two yr olds if you fancy trying from small Bill, i owe you one icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

billdango wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Hi, Lee, this is not as easy to answer as you may think! Erios are regarded as the best suited for the UK. This is due to there ability to stand more wet than the rest, and not because they can the stand the cold any better. What are the minimum temperature you have had over the last 2 winters, and are you in a high or low rainfall area in the winter?

Thanks Jungle Jas

I will give E Bay a try.

rgd billdango icon_thumleft
They have some on eBay at the moment, £69-00 for 1.5M if you fancy something bigger.
icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

redsquirrel wrote:i can send a couple of two yr olds if you fancy trying from small Bill, i owe you one icon_thumright
Thanks for your offer Redsquirrel.

I really need a plant that is at least a metre high as at my age of 67 I won't be around to see it get to a reasonable size?

Thanks again.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft