Trachycarpus problem!

Cardiffcol

Trachycarpus problem!

Post by Cardiffcol »

Hi, I'm new to this, been gardening for only two years now and I'm still learning. So any help will be much appreciated. I have a few Palms that I planted spring 2011, So far this year my Trachys have pushed out two new leaves that are nice and green but, I have noticed the new spears coming through have started to turn yellow from the base and it seams its moving all the way to the top of each spear. I have recently used a liquid fertiliser (first time this year) which I believe to be the correct NPK, albeit not specific for palms. It's a well know brand for ericaceous plants. Could this be what is causing the problem because of the PH being acidic. I used less than I was directed to on the box and I made sure the ground was watered well before using. Or is it a sign of over watering and more importantly will they recover? I have also noticed it on my Chamaerops Humilis. Sorry if you have all had to answer this question a million times before. I've tried searching online for answers but can't find any info. Thanks in advance for your help, Col ..... Oh! and they all have about 150mm of trunk (not sure if that info is of any use)
kata

Re: Trachycarpus problem!

Post by kata »

Welcome Col,

I certainly can't advise you on palms but here is a PDF on Petioles (yellow).

http://bura.brunel.ac.uk/bitstream/2438 ... N_2008.pdf

Others will advise you.

icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Are they potted or in the ground? I lost a young Trachycarpus that was potted due to over watering and its spears went yellow.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Cardiffcol

Post by Cardiffcol »

Hi, thanks for the reply. They are planted in the ground!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

unlikely to be water logged then but worth a consideration. do you have clay soil?
jezza

Post by jezza »

All of my planted trachys only got watered and fertilised for their first year in the ground, after that they were left to it. They're growing well now.
Cardiffcol

Post by Cardiffcol »

Clay unfortunately! Should I dig them up or is that abit drastic? I really don't want to lose them.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I wouldn't rush to dig up just yet. Hopefully others will come up with some other options first. Did you dig in plenty of drainage or just plant straight in?