daveme3

Post by daveme3 »

Hi to all those with a passion like myself for the exotics. My name is David and i live in Hoo near Rochester, Kent.
I have had a passion for Palms and other exotics for longer than i can remember. I enhanced my passion a while ago by acquiring a 20ft x 20ft greenhouse with full gas fired heating, which has offered me the chance to really let loose with my purchases and seed germination. I have a particular love for the big leaved plants, bananas, aroids etc. I know that at this time, it would appear that it is quite difficult to obtain alocasias from various outlets, so i thought you might like to know that i have just purchased an Odora and a Calidora from Amulree Exotics. Both were delivered extremely fast and arrived in excellent health, a welcomed addition to my ever growing jungle. I do purchase seeds from around the world, some of which do fail with germination, but i also have a good rate of success too, so sometimes have various exotics as seedlings available. If anyone is after anything different, let me know, i may well have one growing!
Thankyou for reading my post and also for assisting with such a great forum.
Trudytropics

Re: New member

Post by Trudytropics »

Welcome Dave, I'm green with jealousy over that greenhouse, sounds like you know your onions so to speak. Enjoy the forum, we're a friendly bunch :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard David

;)
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to HT Dave,

Enjoy, do show us pics when you can..thanks!!

icon_cheers
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome Dave, look forward to sharing your experiences icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome! icon_salut
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi Dave, I would love your greenhouse, if only to get out of the rain this year. :lol: Look forwards to hearing your experiences. icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Pete icon_thumleft

:lol:
Last edited by grub on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Welcome :D
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Welcome David! icon_thumleft

I love being in a big greenhouse, especially in the winter months as it's a way of escaping the cold! Myself I just have an 6x8 but at my old college we had a commercial size one :D

Please can we have some pic's?
daveme3

GERMINATION

Post by daveme3 »

Hi to all.
Just a quick note to say that i have currently germinated some strelitzia and frangipani lemon seeds and have two Baobab on the go. I picked up the Baobabs seeds whilst in Gambia recently and have found that they germinate quite quickly and readily. Chip the outer seed case, soak in warm water for 24 hours and place in a heated propagator. They should geminate within a few days. I found that the strelitzia and frangipani also germinate very quickly with the same preparation as Baobab, minus chipping the seed. This is not required.
Still waiting for the Ensete Ventricoseum and Musa Sikkimensus to germinate.