Hello all :)

GREVILLE

Re: Hello all :)

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Gav, from a fellow rogue EPS user :lol:
madgav

Post by madgav »

jungle jas wrote:Hi Gav, thanks for the pics and the running commentary. What is your usual minimum temperature over there? How many leaves a year are you getting on the Jub. icon_thumright
Hi JJ, most winters I wouldn't get below -4C. Only 4 winters in the last 20 years have got lower than this, but on those occasions it went well lower (-7, -8.2, -8.3, -11.6). Guess which one was Dec 2010? :roll:

In normal summers I would get about 4 leaves on my jub. Not sure it managed that in 2012, in fact I'm pretty sure it didn't :(
madgav

Post by madgav »

GREVILLE wrote:Welcome, Gav, from a fellow rogue EPS user :lol:
Thanks grev, good to see a few familiar names on here :)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im surprised the sheds dont sell radicalis tbh,they do livis,brahaeas,chammies etc,with their ok growth rate,i wonder why commercial growers dont produce and sell more??
another plus is they like shady conditions,ideal for our not much sun climate right now
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

redsquirrel wrote:im surprised the sheds dont sell radicalis tbh,they do livis,brahaeas,chammies etc,with their ok growth rate,i wonder why commercial growers dont produce and sell more??
another plus is they like shady conditions,ideal for our not much sun climate right now
I've never seen any for sale, only Vic on EPS. Had 2 small ones from him recently. I also managed to get some seed when I went on holiday, that is just starting to sprout after 2 months at 30c. It will be interesting to see how fast they grow from seed. icon_thumright
madgav

Post by madgav »

Yes they seem to be harder to get hold of now, although I haven't tried recently.

I have a clump of 3 plants which have survived everything down to about -7 or -8C with little or no protection, they grow quite nicely in our cool temps, flower when small, and don't get very large so are easy to protect if required. A great little palm for the cooler exotic garden.

Yes unlike others I haven't had any problems with them burning in direct sun..... :)
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

Hi Gav icon_salut
madgav

Post by madgav »

Hi Rabbie :)
Nice to see another contributor from this neck of the woods icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

madgav wrote:
redsquirrel wrote:
madgav wrote:Thanks for the welcome and glad you liked my site :)
It needs an update though!

Roger after 18 years of growing several different butias I can say that I'm not so crazy about this genus anymore :)
I still have a capitata and a paraguayensis in the ground, both of which are doing...... ok..... the paraguayensis is still growing out 2010 damage. My two poorly erios are in the greenhouse.

No, the best feather palm for our climate has to be a ....... JUB :)
Or a chamaedorea radicalis :lol:
hi Gav,good to see you here too.
have to agree with the jub/radicalis but out of the 2 i favour radicalis as i actually get to watch it growing,plus it flowers young making even more interest
I agree, although I did manage to get one of the big oil-drum jubs in 2005 which was already a decent size. I don't expect to see it flowering anytime soon though, possibly never will..... that's a cheery thought haha :lol:
Radicalis is one tough plant though, possibly even hardier than the -7C oft quoted.

Welcome welcome

Will look at your garden when I get home. Not great browsing on phone. Have you any posts about the infamous oil drum jubs? Pics from when you got it and how its doing now etc? Heard so much about them but never seen them in the flesh or in the oil drum when they first arrived.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I've answered my own question!

http://www.gmcc0266.plus.com/largejub.htm

What happened to that website, and the ability to get them in oil drums?

How did they even end up in oil drums?

My final question i promise :oops: :lol:

On digging a hole so long and deep how did you remove all the loose earth once getting below a certain level, did you get in the hole itself ? it looks like theres no space for someone to stand in there, let along arm room to manouver

madgav

Post by madgav »

Hi Cordy and thanks for the welcome! :)
No probs with the questions, ask away!

Yea the dicksonia.com domain name has gone, it still works on http://www.dicksonia.ie though. He still has some jubs: http://www.dicksonia.ie/plants/palms/jubaea-chilensis but I'm not sure anyone imports the large oil drum ones any more?

I assume they were grown from the start, well from a young age, in the drums rather than field grown & dug up. The drum I got was pretty rusty and indeed the bottom had disintegrated completely :). It was stuffed full of roots though icon_thumleft

On digging a hole so long and deep how did you remove all the loose earth once getting below a certain level, did you get in the hole itself ? it looks like theres no space for someone to stand in there, let along arm room to manouver
There is a lot of clay not far below the surface in my garden so I was trying to get right through that to allow drainiage into the soil below. It took a lot of digging to achieve that! And yes, I managed to get into that hole and was still able to dig :lol:
madgav

Post by madgav »

cordyman wrote:
Will look at your garden when I get home. Not great browsing on phone. Have you any posts about the infamous oil drum jubs? Pics from when you got it and how its doing now etc? Heard so much about them but never seen them in the flesh or in the oil drum when they first arrived.
I do need to update the pics on my website :oops: . Here is a pic from mid-October 2012, the jub is on the right in the background, with 9 year old for size comparison (he is approximately 1.5m/5ft). It'll be getting some of the tatty old leaves pruned now that the weather is starting to warm up.
My avatar is a pic of the same plant taken in April 2010.
Attachments
Oct 2012
Oct 2012
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

madgav wrote:Hi Cordy and thanks for the welcome! :)
No probs with the questions, ask away!

Yea the dicksonia.com domain name has gone, it still works on http://www.dicksonia.ie though. He still has some jubs: http://www.dicksonia.ie/plants/palms/jubaea-chilensis but I'm not sure anyone imports the large oil drum ones any more?

I assume they were grown from the start, well from a young age, in the drums rather than field grown & dug up. The drum I got was pretty rusty and indeed the bottom had disintegrated completely :). It was stuffed full of roots though icon_thumleft

There is a lot of clay not far below the surface in my garden so I was trying to get right through that to allow drainiage into the soil below. It took a lot of digging to achieve that! And yes, I managed to get into that hole and was still able to dig :lol:

Thanks Gav, curiosity truly satisfied icon_thumleft
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

madgav wrote:Hi Rabbie :)
Nice to see another contributor from this neck of the woods icon_thumleft
I live about a mile away, my gardens are immature at the moment. Waiting on a windbrake growing in one and the other was only started last year. It's great to see what grows well in your garden, gives me an idea of what will grow here. :)