Gloucester calling...

r1ch

Gloucester calling...

Post by r1ch »

Hi
This my first post and no doubt I'm already breaking the rules by asking a question here, but well I'd appreciate your opinions and advice. These photos were taken earlier in the week, I've started wrapping and digging up the tender babies. Any ideas on how to overwinter the basjoo flower?
Thanks Rich
Attachments
017.JPG
013.JPG
015.JPG
Last edited by r1ch on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Re: Gloucester calling...

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome, I don't think you can overwinter the flower.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the asylum Rich, highly unlikely you'll get that flower through. You could try going super overboard on the protection with loads of straw and maybe some kind of gentle heat source but you'll run the risk of keeping it all moving along in growth mode, it'll be a fine line I think between all out growth and tickling along...
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Rich icon_cheers

You can always pray for the mildest winter to envelope Gloucester in living memory.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi r1ch, and welcome to the forum icon_salut Very impressive garden icon_thumright

That is quite a large flower but I'm not sure of your intention of overwintering the flower, as unless you had another basjoo in flower at the male stage of flowering, the bananas will not be pollinated. Also the stem will not grow any new leaves, and it will be almost impossible to save the existing ones over winter because of size and fragility.

I have 2 stems with flowers at the moment and had not considered trying to overwinter, but the second flower may have been later enough to be pollinated by the first flower. Pic below
Attachments
2013-08-25 17-56-12 Basjoo flowers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by allangreenbean »

Welcome r1ch,

I do love welcomes that come with pictures attached. Nice garden, I see you are quite a big banana fan. Am overwintering a basjoo and sikkimensis in an unheated conservatory this winter. Have found that it was too cold for my superdwarfs last winter but an east facing window seems to work work and that superdwarf came out really healthy. One day I will get one to flower :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome Rich and of course ask away any questions you may have,

Wow, I love your flower, also Daves flowers.

Good luck!!

:mrgreen: icon_cheers
r1ch

Post by r1ch »

Thanks for the warm welcome. My first day off for a while, so of course I'm in the garden getting ready for the big chill. Typically the ginger in the photo has just started to bloom. Is it Hedychium coronarium? As it looks different to some photographs I've seen.
Regards Rich.
Attachments
Hedychium coronarium???
Hedychium coronarium???
r1ch

Post by r1ch »

PS Dave
Wow!!!
I'd try to save those. You never know!!
Rich
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'll have to give it a go if they survive the wind storm tomorrow.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by r1ch »

Good luck Dave, You could be our only hope!
Rich,
Attachments
Looking for love
Looking for love
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

what would be the gain of pollinating a musa? as they give off so many free plants in the form of pups?

Welcome Rich, supurb pics, looks like a right plantation drunken_smilie1 icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Interesting, to see.
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Hi Rich,
Its encouraging to see your garden has a healthy supply of tropicals in there, as you are only a few miles down the road from me. As my garden is still in the construction stage I have no idea what will do well and what will struggle.
Do you intend to protect the stems of the musas? What measures do you take preparing for winter?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome and wow...your garden looks great for the time of year! Doubt you can protect the flowers but curious to know how you protect the basjoos they look very mature.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.