Macrozamia

Snowy

Macrozamia

Post by Snowy »

Hi

I've just acquired a Macrozamia Moorei and my priority at the moment is to secure the plant for the winter months.I expect to use a 100gsm fleece jacket for frost protection. Unfortunately I dont have a greenhouse to overwinter and it is a large specimen - height 6 feet from the base of the pot which it is in. Problem I have is that the front of the Caudex is damp and I suspect because the Caudex has leaned outwards over the years, any rain ingress is possibly not draining away fully and soaking the front of the Caudex. I guess the obvious answer is to repot but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of planting this species into the garden direct ( I may be being massively over optimistic as I'm in Yorkshire ! ). I appreciate that proper drainage is critical but i dont want to do anything to lose this one

Any advice greatefully received !

Thanks

Snowy
fern Rob

Re: Macrozamia

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Snowy wrote:Hi

I've just acquired a Macrozamia Moorei and my priority at the moment is to secure the plant for the winter months.I expect to use a 100gsm fleece jacket for frost protection. Unfortunately I dont have a greenhouse to overwinter and it is a large specimen - height 6 feet from the base of the pot which it is in. Problem I have is that the front of the Caudex is damp and I suspect because the Caudex has leaned outwards over the years, any rain ingress is possibly not draining away fully and soaking the front of the Caudex. I guess the obvious answer is to repot but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of planting this species into the garden direct ( I may be being massively over optimistic as I'm in Yorkshire ! ). I appreciate that proper drainage is critical but i dont want to do anything to lose this one

Any advice greatefully received !

Thanks

Snowy
Welcome. I've not grown a Moorei but guessing they are less hardy than revoluta so best kept indoors over winter. Have you not got an out house/garage to store it in?
Steph

Post by Steph »

Macrozamia are indoor jobbies over winter, Kris is correct, I have a M. Communis and that comes in.
Leave it outside & you won't have the problem next winter...
Kevin H tried various techniques but I think he gave up in the end.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I've just acquired a Macrozamia Moorei
Snowy
Any pics ? icon_thumleft
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

Pic attached - thanks to everyone who has offered up advice...looks like its moving indoors then......
Attachments
M.Moorei.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cracking plant, did you buy it locally?
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

Yes - I recently bought it from Colleta & Tyson at Dunswell, E. Yorks. My head said "Dont do it" but I gave in to temptation after the 3rd visit and they reduced it massively in an end of season sale. I understand they have had it for the past 9 years
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Unfortunately I dont have a greenhouse to overwinter and it is a large specimen

Snowy
Mine stayed in the greenhouse last year and was ok to nearly -7. During the "narnia" winter, i brought it inside the back porch. Problem with mine is the caudex is bulky and extremely heavy , moving it is a killer.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Steph wrote:Kev H tried various techniques but I think he gave up in the end.
Do you mean me Steph..?
I have not had a Moorei, but have a Communis which stays outside in a pot.
Thought I had lost it last winter, but late this season it started to produce a flush of new fronds, so with a bit more care this winter, it should look in top condition next year.

My Revoluta are planted outside, and with protection have survived the horrendous winter that saw temps plummet to -14...got some big flushes this season from them.

But going back to Snowy's Moorei....what a stunner...!!!!
Do you have an indoor space for that beast...?
Snowy

Post by Snowy »

Hi Simba
I ( two of us ) managed to move it into my Garden shed, but its still a squeeze ( 8' X6' ) - I reckon I nearly slipped a disc in the process as it is really heavy ! So far, i've had an easy ride looking after my tree ferns and a Trachycarpus but this is more challenging. The fronds are quite sharp too.....really interested to see that you've been succesfull with the Revoluta and Communis outside. Ideally I want to avoid moving it around - the greenhouse solution isnt really an option due to the height - the ideal solution is a kind of Bubble tent which could be erected around it when required with the heavy duty fleece jackets applied during the winter for TLC. Needs more research but for the time being its in the right place. My wife thinks i've lost the plot ( she may be right )
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great plant.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Yes sorry Kev thought you'd sold it...

Mine, we had one each from the same batch, spent summer 2012 outside, came in for the winter and I never got round to putting it out again, this summer.
The conservatory was quite well shaded and the plant is magnificent, fronds 6' long, haven't had to remove any yet and it just seems to be growing new continuously.

My two Revolutas haven't got a frond between them, so they are being rested in the hope they will oblige next year.
Haven't got the confidence to plant them out, our ground is pretty wet.

Simon has some divine cycads on his pre order list at the moment.
Simba

Post by Simba »

You are half right Steph...I did sell the large Communis to Mark Domingo, and as far as I know its doing well for him.

But a visit to Amulree during their 50% sale, saw me come home with another Communis....:wink: Smaller than the ones we got, and really quite different too, ie very sharp and spikey...!!

I have that one in a ceramic pot, which stays outside with protection as required and it seems much happier than the large one was planted into the soil.