New member - New garden!

GREVILLE

Re: New member - New garden!

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Andy icon_cheers You're definitely getting off to a good start icon_thumleft
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

I would have liked to have timelapsed recorded the build through a webcam or similar but the cost was too prohibitive given the huge cost of the garden already. So Im just taking a couple of shots a day (each morning) to keep a check on progress (its too dark when I get home from work!).

So we are now a few days into the build. The original turf has been scraped off and the general layout marked out.
Due to the garden sloping gently to the hedge on the right, the guys have set sleepers in along the fence line to act as a retainer. On the other side a raised bed is being constructed.
Attachments
Raised beds construction underway
Raised beds construction underway
Retainer wall of sleepers in place
Retainer wall of sleepers in place
kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: Not be long before your planting Andy, I can't wait till its planted up.

Its a great space.

What are the blue and gray on the ground?

icon_cheers
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

That's what I wished I had done. I should have taken more pictures as it was being built. I was annoyed as I accidentally binned a camera memory card with pictures of the garden being built and going to buy my very first tree fern, I never had the pictures developed. :(
kata

Post by kata »

:( Sad Rob!

I know how you mst have felt. Tonight my son was like 'OMG' showing me the empty card viewer thingy...where is the card mum?

I said there it is, take it home...reply, I will.

He has loads of info business on it so was sweating he thought I lost it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

At least the fern is still alive and more pics where taken of the garden. My garden looks completely different to how it was originally planted.
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

What are the blue and gray on the ground?
I think you are referring to the sleepers. They have had their lower halves painted in preservative to prolong their life in the ground.
More pictures from this morning -
Attachments
Footings going in marking the edges of the hard standing area
Footings going in marking the edges of the hard standing area
Raised bed almost completed
Raised bed almost completed
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Heres the actual plan the guys are working to - the orientation is a little odd as my photos are taken from the house windows and the plan is drawn from a North view, so the photos are from the other perspective. Hope you get the gist...
Attachments
Garden Design
Garden Design
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Are the original fence posts wood or concrete?
kata

Post by kata »

I think you are referring to the sleepers.
Thanks Andy, yes I was.

Lookiing at the map its going to look awesome and well worth not only the work but the cost too.

I am excited for you....waiting.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Hi Rob, I know what you are going to say, if the fence posts are wood they are going to rot out and be a pig to replace.
Yes, they are wood although I can still access from the neighbours garden on the one side and get between the hedge and the fence on the other, when the job needs doing.

If that was what you going to say... :D
kata

Post by kata »

Is it good wood,

Tongue and groove is very strong wood. Fencing in the ground lasts for years with care why should'nt your posts Andy?

icon_sunny
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Welcome Andy, looks like you'l have a lovely garden by next summer.
Take plenty of photos especially when it comes to planting as exotics grow very fast, and its great looking back.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Moving along quickly I see, very exciting.

What preservative have they used on the sleepers?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

jetsetwilly wrote:Hi Rob, I know what you are going to say, if the fence posts are wood they are going to rot out and be a pig to replace.
Yes, they are wood although I can still access from the neighbours garden on the one side and get between the hedge and the fence on the other, when the job needs doing.

If that was what you going to say... :D
Just my thoughts icon_thumleft