Hello

agripalm

Hello

Post by agripalm »

Hi I'm from Spain and I love plants specially palms and ornamental trees, is one of my hobbies. Perhaps I'm going to go to UK soon and I want to know if it would be difficult work as assistant gardener or thing like that.
I grow a lot species of palms (Phoenix sp, syagrus, washingtonia sp, chamaerops humillis, trachycarpus...) and trees like sequoia, sequoiandendrom, pinus sp etc.
I got a lot of seeds (washingtonia filifera, chamaerops... collected by me)
I don't decided where part of UK to go yet, but I like Kent or around London because I know it.
fern Rob

Re: Hello

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome to the forum.

Britain is covered in some beautiful country estates with great gardens, also other great parklands.
Other areas worth visiting that have some great gardens would be, Yorkshire for a start, Nothing to do with being from Yorkshire :lol: also Dorset, Devonshire, Cornwall, Cumbria, saying that all the counties have some great gardens and countryside to offer. I would just continue writing all the counties :lol: . Abbotsbury Subtropical gardens is well worth the visit.
grub

Post by grub »

welcome to the madhouse Agripalm icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

if it would be difficult work as assistant gardener
Welcome to the forum!

If you have studied at Horticultural College then you could find work in a plant nursery but with qualifications.

Good luck!.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:
if it would be difficult work as assistant gardener
Welcome to the forum!

If you have studied at Horticultural College then you could find work in a plant nursery but with qualifications.

Good luck!.
I think showing willing and a few days voluntary work would go along way to get work in a gardens. icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Even in an ordinary neighbouring garden you need to know so many thing horticultrally Rob.

What to feed an Acer/ Azalias/rhodies, what ph and soil type. I have an Acer that laughs at our four seasons but I have others that defoliate in a draught.

Roses need different prunings. Standards/ hedge/ramblers/ etc

How to treat different palms.

Plants and flowers what situ suits. Dahlias Begonias when to start into growth and bring in from frost let alone know how to store for winter.

Seedlings; we know that we must hold seedlings by a leaf because once a root is broken by handling its dead, new leaf will grow if handled the correct way...by a leaf

You *have to have knowledge* of everything, or almost everything in a garden.

Watering/feeding.

Endless!
:mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:Even in an ordinary neighbouring garden you need to know so many thing horticultrally Rob.

What to feed an Acer/ Azalias/rhodies, what ph and soil type. I have an Acer that laughs at our four seasons but I have others that defoliate in a draught.

Roses need different prunings. Standards/ hedge/ramblers/ etc

How to treat different palms.

Plants and flowers what situ suits. Dahlias Begonias when to start into growth and bring in from frost let alone know how to store for winter.

Seedlings; we know that we must hold seedlings by a leaf because once a root is broken by handling its dead, new leaf will grow if handled the correct way...by a leaf

You *have to have knowledge* of everything, or almost everything in a garden.

Watering/feeding.

Endless!
:mrgreen:
I think thats taking it a little far, common sense is a good starting post in a garden, working your way up from the bottom in the industry. Sometimes your best to trust your instincts with a plant ( I think this only works when you are interested in horticulture) not everything needs feeding and pruning, I have to say there is a delicate art to watering plants correctly but that all comes with time. No gardens the same and you have to learn to understand each garden, horticulture qualifications or not. I may be repeating myself but this only seems to work when you are interested in horticulture as people can cause a lot of damage to plants due to lack of interest.
kata

Post by kata »

Just covering Rob,

Best thing to do is look at a 'garden job' then... icon_study

If its not your garden then more knowledge is needed.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Im be quite confident that i could manage a subtropical garden successfully, and add more to it. icon_thumleft
I do get your point.
kata

Post by kata »

Just advising care Rob,

icon_cheers
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I want to manage and build a subtropical garden now. 8)
kata

Post by kata »

But you lose pics Rob,

What if you lost plants?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:But you lose pics Rob,

What if you lost plants?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
How would I loose plants, unless they where stolen. :?: :)
kata

Post by kata »

Think,

Your out with the weedkiller and... :o

You may stand on one accidently and snap its neck... :lol: :lol:

Accidents happen.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to the forum, Agripalm icon_cheers

You won't need a degree or any certificate to enjoy any work in any garden although any qualification is always welcome.
However, you will need a Phd to understand the banter that goes on in this forum if the posts by Kata and Fern Rob are anything to go by :lol: