Looking for pointers.

Doc86

Re: Looking for pointers.

Post by Doc86 »

Blairs wrote:What landscaping have you done?
Nothing as of yet.

I am getting quotes at the moment for the major work as its a pretty big job. My garden is on a slope and I am having an extension built which means I need to flatten a fair sized are of the garden to accommodate that and have a patio straight off the house. I then need to terrace back from that, one terrace will be a raised deck and then a 6ft wall to retain the top largest part of the garden. That's when I can tackle the more interesting stuff like beds and the major planting areas.

I'm guessing your aiming to get the dirty work done ready for planting in spring? I saw this http://www.fubiz.net/en/2013/06/14/floating-egg/ when I was looking at how I would do the cladding on retaining walls and raised beds I just like the look of the thin diagonal strips. That would look great especially on a curving wall.

I will post some pics of progress when it kicks off!
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

Cheers for the advice guys!

fern Rob wrote:
Doc86 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys!

fern Rob wrote:Welcome you need to plant a Dicksonia antarctica or two.
I recon I can find a space for a Dicksonia or two. I also like the look of shuttle cock ferns. I will have to read up on the best spot for them.
flounder wrote: phormiums can have leaves over 6ft long, but not too wide. You've got to add the strappys and spikeys in with your large leaf fetish :wink:
I agree with you on that flounder, phormiums look great to add volume to borders and I am looking at getting a few more palms to get that mix in texture.
If you look after them then a slightly shaded area would be fine. icon_thumleft
I will have to pick your brains when I get planting.
GREVILLE wrote:Welcome to HTUK, Doc icon_cheers

A few bamboos grouped together will gave you some immediate height and if carefully sited can create all kinds of effects. For example, a backdrop and shelter for summer bedding of large leaved beauties.
Cheers :)

I may use it to hide my crappy looking fence in places. Do you know any good places to get fairly large bamboo for a good price?
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Errrrrrrrrr what's up Doc, chomp chomp chomp chomp chomp. icon_albino I've been waiting to use that pesky wabbit ever since I saw it in the Smilies. :lol: Welcome to the forum, Jungle Giants sell 200 types of bamboo (there hype not mine). Maybe within striking distance from you. I dont know what there prices are like as I haven't used them for years. icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Doc86 wrote: Do you know any good places to get fairly large bamboo for a good price?
Palm Centre has 30% off all Bamboos including 50% off tall four cane black bamboos. Delivery charges are very reasonable.
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

Thanks for all the pointers guys :)

Does anybody know what kind of plants are safe for me to buy at this time of year to keep potted ready to go in the ground in spring. I want to get some stuff started so when the garden is done I have immediate impact. I already have a couple of palms, musa basjoo and cordylines but its a fairly big space to fill.

any suggestions?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Doc86 wrote:Thanks for all the pointers guys :)

Does anybody know what kind of plants are safe for me to buy at this time of year to keep potted ready to go in the ground in spring. I want to get some stuff started so when the garden is done I have immediate impact. I already have a couple of palms, musa basjoo and cordylines but its a fairly big space to fill.

any suggestions?
Tree ferns if you keep them protected, bamboos,get some plants pre ordered for spring.
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

So I made a few purchases :).

Hopefully work will be starting on the garden soon so I will post some before and after shots.

My dogs are wondering what the hell is going on.

Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

A token arty farty pic in the first bit of sun shine I have seen in a while.

samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Know the feeling - have been stockpiling myself last couple of months and waiting for it to get consistantly mild enough to get planting.

So where did you get them from? Big Trachycarpus looks nice - nice thin trunk will work nicely - did you get it delivered or wedge it into a car?
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

The large Trachycarpus I got from Hyde Cottage palms and had it delivered. The Small plants are things I have been rescuing from clearance and stuff.

I will start buying the bulk of the stuff I want when the weather gets better. :D