Hello from Glasgow

Davidd

Hello from Glasgow

Post by Davidd »

A new member here hailing from Glasgow. Hello. I'm looking forward to sharing plant talk with everybody and learning from you all.

I grow mostly woodland perennials, but I've started growing more and more tropical-looking things recently. Euphorbia 'Roundway Titan' has done well for me - it's a hybrid between Euphorbia stygiana and Euphorbia mellifera. So far, so hardy.

Last night, I sowed some seeds of Kniphofia sarmentosa. It's meant to be a winter-flowering species (albeit with flowers that aren't frost-hardy). I've never grown Kniphofia from seed before but it's meant to be one of the easier ones. We'll see!

Chat soon!
grub

Re: Hello from Glasgow

Post by grub »

Welcome to the asylum Davidd icon_thumleft
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Welcome! What are your plant plans? I know Glasgow and its wet wet wet weather, so choose wisely or ask us!
billdango

Post by billdango »

Welcome to the forum Davidd.

Keep us updated on what exotics you are growing or planning to grow.

billdango icon_thumleft
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome icon_thumright
call

Post by call »

Welcome to the nuthouse David icon_salut
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome icon_thumleft
Davidd

Post by Davidd »

Thanks guys! I feel my sanity slipping away already... icon_cheers

I'm not much one for planning my garden so I'll see what takes my fancy this year, and get inspiration and tips on here. Anything that I try will need to like the rains of Glasgow! Although, I do fancy trying Aloe polyphylla again - I managed to germinate some last year but they died after a few months.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Glasgow is wet - but Gunnera, Bamboo, Eucalyptus, Rheum, Rodgersia etc like that. Fatisa seems to do fine. Aloe striatula is half hardy but not in wet conditions, same for polyphylla - you will need to add in a shed load of perlite and grit to have a chance.