New member in West Oxon

LONGK

New member in West Oxon

Post by LONGK »

In addition to the standard garden fare I like to go for things a little out of the ordinary.
Amongst the more common stuff, I'm steadily building up a collection of Campanula & perennial Lobellia.
However, I'm interested in trying to naturalise Clerodendrum Ugandense, Sollya heterophylla & my Erythrina Crista Galli in the garden. I'm also tempted to try a Brugmansia over winter. I'm happy to make extra effort to overwinter them.
Other exotics include; Fuchsia Perscandens, Strelitzia Reginea, Gloriosa, & Mtrosideros Umbellata.
Attachments
Clerodendrum Ugandense
Clerodendrum Ugandense
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: New member in West Oxon

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Lonk, and welcome icon_salut

That flower is a beauty icon_thumright Don't know much about them though.

If you are thinking to trying to overwinter Brugs outside I think that is a tall order, I kept mine going in a frost free polytunnel, but I have heard others say they overwinter them in a shed. Mine have the first flower buds appearing now, so should have some going all summer.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

!!OMG!!

That is such a beauty, strong blue too. I need to know more, maybe Wiki.

Amazing longk..simply amazing!

Thankyou for sharing, does it go to seed for seed swaps :lol: :lol:
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

Thanks.
The Clerodendrum is an East African bush that can grow up to 10 feet in height.
It may develop viable seed pods, but my priority this year is to produce a small stock from stem cuttings, or maybe by staking down growth (as you would a Penstemon). If I do get any seeds I'll offer them on here.
kata

Post by kata »

If I do get any seeds I'll offer them on here
Oh thankyou Longk!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
smurnan

Post by smurnan »

Welcome icon_salut
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi LongK, welcome to the forum, wow that is a stunning blue flower you have there, and a bush you say from Africa, where are you growing it :?: it must be indoors or in a green house :?: unless your in a very warm microclimate and you have lots of over head protection and is out of the cold winds and frost,like Kata I to would like to know more about the lovely flowering shrub/bush.Could it be this plant:::Clerodendrum ugandense??
Glad you joined us icon_cheers icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
LONGK

Post by LONGK »

Thank you Smurman.
Nick wrote:Hi LongK, welcome to the forum, wow that is a stunning blue flower you have there, and a bush you say from Africa, where are you growing it :?: it must be indoors or in a green house :?: unless your in a very warm microclimate and you have lots of over head protection and is out of the cold winds and frost,like Kata I to would like to know more about the lovely flowering shrub/bush.Could it be this plant:::Clerodendrum ugandense??
Glad you joined us icon_cheers icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Yes it is Clerodendrum Ugandense, overwintered in the conservatory.
I'm looking to propogate a little stock this year to have a go at trying them outside in the next year or two.