Feeling the freeze

Washielover

Feeling the freeze

Post by Washielover »

Hi everyone! Johan here, from Atlanta, Georgia. I planted 28 Robustas early last spring. They all took off like a rocket. Now, for some crazy reason, we're having a cold snap in fall with a wind chill at 4 deg fahrenheit. I covered all but three with plastic boxed over around them. I don't think it's doing the trick for a lot of them, because the core new fronds turned yellow over night. Has anyone here had an experience like this where they made a comeback later on?
I'm hurtin' right now.
sanatic1234

Re: Feeling the freeze

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi Johan, i can't give much advice on your washies to be honest mate but here is a link to a topic about washie protection. And welcome to the forum :).
I will also try to find the one Dave b posted. he has a very big washie that he grew from seeds himself years ago. and he has been very successful with his. here is the link

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 114&t=6053
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Here is the one on dave browns washingtonia robusta johan. hope this helps you. and good luck with this bad weather we have just been hit with one cold front and are now set for another in this week a head :(

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 114&t=6706
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hi Johan, have you spoke to Jim Hardy yet?
He's from the US.[Fairfield Iowa], and he's devised a way of protecting these palms [hopefully] in a very cold environment.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

WOW thats cold for you guys isn't it?

I do hope they get through it!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Washielover

Post by Washielover »

Thanks for all the replies, folks! Goodness, it was colder here this morning in the southern US than in Iceland. We've got some wacky arctic jetstream blowing up our nostrils and if I didn't know any better, I'd say that it's taunting me. Tonight we're supposed to get stupid cold. It's already 18F with a wind chill of 5F. Our winter only starts Dec 21. What the peanut is going on with this fall weather?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Washielover wrote:We've got some wacky arctic jetstream blowing up our nostrils and if I didn't know any better, I'd say that it's taunting me. Tonight we're supposed to get stupid cold. It's already 18F with a wind chill of 5F.
You are not alone :ahhh!: we have one due on Thursday.
Thurs 16th Dec 2010 Arctic Cold Front2 .jpg
There is talk of this being the coldest December for many, many years.

Ever seen that movie "The day after tomorrow" makes you wonder, doesn't it :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

They also say it could be worse than the 'big freeze 62 .63'

20ft drifts...whistles.

Scotland got off lightly. Snow lay to 6 inches (15 cm) depth in Manchester city centre, 9 inches (23 cm) in Wythenshawe, and about 18 inches (45 cm) at Keele University in Staffordshire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_ ... ed_Kingdom
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Washielover wrote:We've got some wacky arctic jetstream blowing up our nostrils and if I didn't know any better, I'd say that it's taunting me. Tonight we're supposed to get stupid cold. It's already 18F with a wind chill of 5F.
You are not alone :ahhh!: we have one due on Thursday.
Thurs 16th Dec 2010 Arctic Cold Front2 .jpg
There is talk of this being the coldest December for many, many years.

Ever seen that movie "The day after tomorrow" makes you wonder, doesn't it :?:

Well dave on the un-cut version where it shows the scientists commenting on it at the end they do say that all those events on that film can happen but just not in that short amount of time. So yeah it really does make you wonder!
Washielover

Post by Washielover »

I WANT MY MOMMY! That's it. I'm taking my ball and I'm going home. I don't like playing with the weather anymore. It plays dirty.
outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

hi,and welcome!! tell me about it you wanner try a british winter it sucks to!! :D
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

scotland certainly won't get off lightly this second time a round it will be even worse than the before :roll: glad i live where i do. got to admit the scots are made of steel to go through all this. I take my hat off to them. icon_salut
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Washielover wrote:I WANT MY MOMMY! That's it. I'm taking my ball and I'm going home. I don't like playing with the weather anymore. It plays dirty.

I take it things aren't going well mate? Hope they make it!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Washielover wrote:I WANT MY MOMMY! That's it. I'm taking my ball and I'm going home. I don't like playing with the weather anymore. It plays dirty.
The weather had even taken my ball :cry: When the snow melts you'll find my rattle in the corner :ahhh!:
Attachments
2010-12-01 08-39-28 Washie in the snow.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

My street is littered with all the dummies I've spat out! :lol: