Banana id

Harry

Banana id

Post by Harry »

Hi all,

I am Fairly new to gardening and I was hoping that one of you knowledgeable people might be able to identify the type of banana plant in the following pictures. whether its a fruiting type or purely ornamental.

Thanks in advance

Harry
Attachments
garden 005.JPG
garden 004.JPG
garden 006.JPG
grub

Re: Banana id

Post by grub »

What else can you tell us about it Harry? How old, big, hardy etc will all help us out a bit as will a better picture of the petioles icon_thumleft
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

With the stocky build and petioles being close to each other,drum roll everyone :lol: musa Cavendish icon_cheers edible cultivator
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks mushtaq86, and grub for the quick replys, glad to hear its an edible one.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Will a cavendish survive in Andalucia, touch and go, but it may do... if it hits 0C though its a gonner.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Almeria is one of the warmest spots in Spain, so I'm sure a Musa cavendish will be fine there icon_thumleft
medjool

Post by medjool »

Almeria has a similar climate to pompey!!!!!!!!! :lol: icon_rabbit :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

medjool wrote:Almeria has a similar climate to pompey!!!!!!!!! :lol: icon_rabbit :lol:
I wish... :wink:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The Arabs where the first ones in that part of Spain whom cultivated bananas!
Most species and cultivars can be grown there!

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Harry, and welcome icon_salut

Looks like Dwarf cavendish, which they grow commercially in the Canaries. It does not like to drop below 10C ideally, but can drop down lower for short periods, providing temps get back up to around the 15C+ mark the next day. Not the easiest banana to overwinter in the UK :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Harry »

Hi all,

thanks for the replys on hardiness, I suppose that I will have to try and protect them a bit in the winter then, and hope for the best. Its not quite frost free here, as we are about 20 minutes inland, last winter we had about 3-4 frosts.
I don't know if it would be a good indicator but, my streliizia nicolai came through unscathed. so maybe some hope for the musa.

Harry
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Strelizia nicolai is pretty tough taking as low as-6C in California. It is the warm days that allow it to handle it. I haven't had -6C since 2001, but don't get the warm days so mine has to be inside. Musa Dwarf cav will not like down to freezing even if warm days. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

For edible bananas, Musa Chini Champi and M. Rajapuri are better ones then Dwarf Cavendish as they are more coldtolerant.

Alexander