Colocasia (Corrected) Alocasia winter care advice

Sat

Colocasia (Corrected) Alocasia winter care advice

Post by Sat »

I had my first frost yesterday in West Midlands today, morning temp was -1C.

So starting to think what I need to do in terms of protection.

I have lifted my Colocasia and planted it in this Pot see pic and am thinking of now storing in the garage? I want to keep the height of the plant? Is this ok?

2. Or should I still keep outdoors for a while for daylight?

3. Or does it need to be in a warmer place?
Attachments
SDC14370.JPG
Last edited by Sat on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveW

Re: Colocasia winter care advice

Post by SteveW »

Hi sat
That looks like alocasia wentii to me,definitely not a colocasia.
For overwintering your best bet would be to bring indoors,a cold garage would kill it off quite quickly I'm afraid :roll:
Who sold it to you as a colocasia?
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thats a nice Alocasia you have to keep indoors and keep and eye out for greenfly as they damage the leaves .Was that from a international shop or did you buy it.
Sat

Post by Sat »

SteveW wrote:Hi sat
That looks like alocasia wentii to me,definitely not a colocasia.
For overwintering your best bet would be to bring indoors,a cold garage would kill it off quite quickly I'm afraid :roll:
Who sold it to you as a colocasia?
See http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... f=1&t=6535 , sorry for forgeting what the plant was. Garden Express sold it on their ebay shop, they selling again see link http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/Produ ... uctID=1881 Are they selling the wrong plant?

So Looks like the plant will have to be indoors again to maintain the height?

Do people lift and plant out each year this plant?
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Here's a Colocasia

The leaves got to about 4',maybe a little bigger before it started flowering-
pictures from Sept,it is 6' tall here.

Sat

Re: Colocasia (Corrected) Alocasia winter care advice

Post by Sat »

Wow what a nice plant.

I put my Alocasia indoor in the bathroom, but should i turn off the central heating in there, as i remember the advice from last year was to keep it in a colder room. Last year kept in down stair toilet which did not have Central Heating, but the plants too big to keep there now.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I agree with Steve, it looks like Alocasia wentii. The plant in Gardening Express' pic is also an Alocasia but a different one, possibly macrorrhiza, or odora type.

One of whe main visual differences between Alocasia and Colocasia is the leaf stalk. I put pics on another topic recently. The Alocasia has a leaf stalk that continues to the tip of the leaf blade, as bit like the petiole on a pinnate palm continues as the midrib of the leaf. Colocasia on the other hand has a leaf stalk that joins the bottom of the leaf with a definate elbow. This is similar to a fan palm where the petiole joins the leaf at a hastula. :wink:

Alocasia wentii is not the hardiest, and my A.wentii Aline in the conservatory lost it's roots, followed by leaves, last winter and took the whole summer to regrow out. The conservatory was above 6C. It is better as a house plant :wink:

Jim, that Colocasia looks great, is it a Thai Giant?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jimhardy »

Yea,it was/is Dave,it is being lifted today :?

Maybe -5c tonight-I am trying to preserve this one for a big start next year but since it grows from a 4" pot to this in one season,no worries.

It will be fun if it picks up where it left off though! icon_thumright
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Yea,it was/is Dave,it is being lifted today :?

Maybe -5c tonight-I am trying to preserve this one for a big start next year but since it grows from a 4" pot to this in one season,no worries.

It will be fun if it picks up where it left off though! icon_thumright
Sat

Post by Sat »

I put my Alocasia indoor in the bathroom, but should i turn off the central heating in ther? as i remember the advice from last year was to keep it in a colder room. Last year kept in down stair toilet which did not have Central Heating, but the plants too big to keep there now.
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

I think under 70(f) is fine for this plant as it will not spend much of it's energy/winter storage trying to grow.
Sat

Post by Sat »

My alocasia wentii which I brought into the bathroom has been growing new leaves for the last 2 months.

However it now appears to be flowering. Is this normal for this time of year.

Also in the first pic highlighted I have a new plant growing, how best and when to cut this to make new plant?
Attachments
SDC14716.JPG
SDC14717.JPG
Sat

Post by Sat »

Sat wrote:My alocasia wentii which I brought into the bathroom has been growing new leaves for the last 2 months.

However it now appears to be flowering. Is this normal for this time of year.

Also in the first pic highlighted I have a new plant growing, how best and when to cut this to make new plant?
Anyone able to answer the above questions?
simon

Post by simon »

To remove the pup, I would de-pot the whole plant, remove some of the soil from around the pup and extract it with as much root as you can. I would do it when it is a bit warmer so that the pup is in growth and can establish itself quickly.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Sat, my Alocasia Mac is doing exactly the same as your Wentii. Mine is kept in a small tub at around 15-18c overwinter and has pupped and flowered. icon_thumright

Simons suggestion is spot on. If you take the pup about May and keep it inside till midsummer it should grow on well outside in a sheltered semi- shaded spot.