Cycas Winter care

Sat

Cycas Winter care

Post by Sat »

See pic attached, My cycas new fronds were not a big as the previous one when taken outdoor this year, the larger one were when it was indoors.

With frost now started in west midlands, can this plant be kept indoors in a garage now, it has a window for light source?
Attachments
SDC14371.JPG
Nathan

Re: Cycas Winter care

Post by Nathan »

I wouldn't keep it in the garage, just take it in there on frosty nights, then take back outside as soon as it's warm enough again, especially on sunny days...
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have taken mine indoors sat, but then mine isn't quite as big as yours. tie up your fronds shove some straw in the crown. and put a fleece over the top, but only on the coldest days. I would do that with mine but its just as easy for me to take inside as its not a big size.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

close to the house, keep the rain off, simples, indoors otherwise. mine is going in my unheated greenhouse, bigger than yours just,
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Theres a problem with sticking straw into crowns, great when dry but not so clever when wet.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The straw wouldn't be in the crown permanent through the winter, like i stated above, i would only use on the coldest of days, when the temps are not too bad it would have no protection at all. :wink:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Sat, the low light levels indoors would cause the leaves to be stretched, much better grown outside when possible. Each year I bring mine into the garage once the temperatures drop, normally in November/December depending, and it's left there until the weather starts to pick up again next year. Even in a garage with no heating it can freeze in there, but because of other plants I use a small parasene heater on the coldest nights for a bit of heat and air circulation. Enough light from the windows and skylight in there. The temps we are having at the moment are not prolonged and daytime temps are good, so it wouldn't harm the plant being left out as it stands.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks all. I agree the cold weather is not prolonged yet. So will keep outside and only bring indoors if get very cold. Keeping it close to house when outside.

When Nov/ Dec come then bring perm indoors when cold weather is prolonged. But even then if mild weather forecast try to take outside.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Anyone fleeced wrapped their planted outside ones yet...?

I am caught in at least two minds.... :roll:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

all im doing is nailing the snow shelter over the top again,mine came through just fine like this last winter
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

What does your snow shelter look like red? i am very curious. It sounds like a good idea.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

No Straw here. No protection until we are forecast lower than -3C and and days are cold .... The big one was planted out in 2002 and was only protected during the coldest parts of 2008/9 and 2009/10, but was for about 2 1/2 months last year as the cold just went on and on :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

all i had was 4 bits of roof baton thumped in the ground with a couple of horizontal pieces joining across the tops make 2 sides.put a b and q dust sheet over the top and 6 inches down leaving the sides completely open for the air to flow. not too clever at diagrams but have tried to draw it in paint :lol:
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (10.39 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Sat

Post by Sat »

DiCasS wrote:Sat, the low light levels indoors would cause the leaves to be stretched, much better grown outside when possible. Each year I bring mine into the garage once the temperatures drop, normally in November/December depending, and it's left there until the weather starts to pick up again next year. Even in a garage with no heating it can freeze in there, but because of other plants I use a small parasene heater on the coldest nights for a bit of heat and air circulation. Enough light from the windows and skylight in there. The temps we are having at the moment are not prolonged and daytime temps are good, so it wouldn't harm the plant being left out as it stands.

Di
Is it ok to take the cycas pot outside when the weather goes mild and then back in when frost is forecast?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Sat wrote:
DiCasS wrote:Sat, the low light levels indoors would cause the leaves to be stretched, much better grown outside when possible. Each year I bring mine into the garage once the temperatures drop, normally in November/December depending, and it's left there until the weather starts to pick up again next year. Even in a garage with no heating it can freeze in there, but because of other plants I use a small parasene heater on the coldest nights for a bit of heat and air circulation. Enough light from the windows and skylight in there. The temps we are having at the moment are not prolonged and daytime temps are good, so it wouldn't harm the plant being left out as it stands.

Di
Is it ok to take the cycas pot outside when the weather goes mild and then back in when frost is forecast?
Yes, that is exactly what you should do...