Musa Siam Ruby

MarkD

Musa Siam Ruby

Post by MarkD »

How easy is it to keep a Musa Siam Ruby? What's its requirements and is it easy to overwinter?

It's very ornamental would probably get one from Simon during the Amulree meet, assuming that's it hasn't sold out by then. :)
Don

Re: Musa Siam Ruby

Post by Don »

MarkD wrote:How easy is it to keep a Musa Siam Ruby? What's its requirements and is it easy to overwinter?
It isn't and no it's not.
Indoor really or kept ticking over at 50F but needs light.
Just treat the thing as an annual bedding plant-the pain of overwintering many musa just ain't worth it :lol:
Enter Mark Hall---stage left.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

MarkD wrote:How easy is it to keep a Musa Siam Ruby? What's its requirements and is it easy to overwinter?
If, like Mark, you keep your greenhouse/polytunnel at 30C its a piece of cake :wink:
Andy
Mark

Post by Mark »

:lol: I sent my one to be TCd but the place closed down and I got my plant back :D Royal snail used it as a football so I had to chop it in half :cry: it is sat on my heatmat at the moment sulking.

Alot of the ones that came from B.org grew really well and produced lots of pups.mine didnt produce any though.

Seeing pictures of what they have grown into now makes me want to get another just in case :wink:
Siam_Ruby_020.jpg
I think Helen said that simons plants were going to be £20 but not sure of what size they will be.
helen

Post by helen »

Simon's are about 10 cm tall right now. He is growing them on a bit first. He is already taking orders, and only has one tray of them. The siam ruby's are green right now, with a red edge around the leaves if you look real close. They start to colour up when they get to about 30 cm tall.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mines been fine growing on the bathroom windowsil all winter,well apart from when we had no gas/heating :roll: Had to move it elsewhere now though as it don't fit there anymore.Its currently residing on the diningroom table.
No major colouring to its leaves yet though for which it needs lots of light as Don says.
Definately be worth ordering one in advance though guys if simons only got the one tray.How many do you get to a tray?72?
Go on you know you want one :lol:
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Love the look of Siam Ruby but same old story, no green house and I bring far to much indoors now as it is, just wish it was that little bit hardier :D

Gary
Mark

Post by Mark »

helen wrote:Simon's are about 10 cm tall right now. He is growing them on a bit first. He is already taking orders, and only has one tray of them. The siam ruby's are green right now, with a red edge around the leaves if you look real close. They start to colour up when they get to about 30 cm tall.
Can we put in a order now or do we have to wait a while ?
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

It definitely it one gorgeous banana - if you can get one at a good price, it's at least worth giving it a go. I'd love to get one, but I'm enforcing what little will power I have and saving up for something bigger (no, not a 10ft Siam Ruby either...tree fern or something probably :roll: ). If anyone gets one, keep us updated on how you get on as I'd love to see a healthy specimen in the UK!

Thanks, take care

Pete
Don

Post by Don »

Mark wrote:
Can we put in a order now or do we have to wait a while ?
Simon was telling me that it is going fast and I don't think he has many. If you want one ring him and reserve one (I think that is what a few folk have done already).
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just spent 20 mins talking to simon and getting my plant reserved 8) He said there is only a few left so if you want one get on the blower like don said.

Phone call was cut short as some bloke called Will Giles had turned up to talk about our meet up :D 8)

I had a look at his web site and I think I will be hitting his aroids pretty hard.

Just need to pace myself for UJ too :roll:
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Mark wrote:Phone call was cut short as some bloke called Will Giles had turned up to talk about our meet up
Cool!

Which aroids are you thinking of getting? I know he's offering quite a few new ones...

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

All of them pete ...like i said I am hitting them hard :lol:

I like the look of Aurora and I asked simon if it was the same as Ula Kamu as I have that one already.

I wanted the one called Kapit but he said they never sent it to him.

On the down side I have just looked on UJ web site and it seems most things are unavailable :cry: just have to hope they get some plants in before our visit other wise we will spend it all at simons 8)
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

I, too, like the look of them all, but some of them are more houseplants I think as opposed to garden plants. I'm mainly interested in the fast growing, big leaved ones that will over Winter relatively easily. For example, although he hasn't got any, the 'ALOCASIA INFERNALIS KAPIT' isn't at all hardy, very slow growing and only grow to 30cm :shock: No thanks, I'll stick with the 'ALOCASIA 'NEW GUINEA GOLD' :lol: Much more my kinda thing.

Thanks, take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

Pete I have to think about the over wintering too...........like fitting them all in :lol:

Anyway why aren't you at school ? :lol: