Cycad recovery.

stephenprudence

Cycad recovery.

Post by stephenprudence »

I got a Cycas revoluta last year, and planted it out, it's not huge but its not hopelessly small like my last one. The cold had affected it and now the leaves are soft and turning yellow (these are gonners)... Last time I checked the caudex was hard, although I assume that could change.. what's the best thing I can do to limit damage, or to nurse it back to health.. or can I just assume it's a gonner and chuck it away with the -10C we had?
davidjonesUK

Re: Cycad recovery.

Post by davidjonesUK »

i hope not as myne are all yellow and if its true wha your sayin then mines a gonna and it a lill bigger than yours :shock:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sorry to hear. I think it sounds like its had it.....BUT give it time this summer you never know
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Don't throw it out unless the caudex completely falls apart.

Some of the ones at Tremenheere defoliated and then looked dead after the winter of 08/9 but put up leaves last year [18/12 after the freeze].

I would put a cover over it to protect it from now until April, and do the same next winter.

Oh, and pray.

Chad.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Don't give up on it Stephen. I would have expected the leaves to be damaged at -10 but if the caudex is still solid it's a good sign. If it's in a pot I'd place it somewhere where it is frost free, but if it's planted outside, I'd put a small raincover over it to keep it dry and protect with fleece as and when we get more cold spells. That's all you can do really.

Last year I left one outside by mistake in, that one was well and truely dead, the caudex was soft and fell apart :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

as said,keep it dry and you should be ok,tougher than given credit for coldwise but they will rot in the crown when dormant and damaged
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
stephenprudence

Well it has been under a shelter and with fleece thrown over it on the coldest nights, but it's still been damaged at the leaves. I'll take the shelter off and allow some air circulation in the milder weather upcoming, as it's had very little circulation which might introduce rot.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mine has a big cover over it,same as last year,went yellow but came back with a vengeance come spring.will get you a pic in the morning as its gone naff again
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Try not to let it get too wet when cold and in-active, and leave the leaves on it for as long as possible so as not to allow any infection in through a cut part, and for whatever photosynthesis properties they may still have.

Cycads are sometimes sold leafless though, much like treeferns, so there could well be plenty of energy stored-up inside that bulbous cauldex, your chances would be better still if it's swelling a peak around the top awaiting a flush.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I am sure that Nigel will remember how trashed my Revoluta looked after last winter, we both thought it was a gonner.

But a couple of months later, and it was looking better than it ever has done.... icon_thumleft

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

they are amazing Simba! Do you protect them at all? Whats their tolerance limit?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

The main concerns I have is that:

1) It's so early in winter, still 2 months of potential severe cold to come

2) My Cycad flushed this summer just gone and judging by some sources it may not flush again for a couple of years, by which time, rot may have taken hold?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

dont believe it Steve,they can flush year after year
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Simba wrote:I am sure that Nigel will remember how trashed my Revoluta looked after last winter, we both thought it was a gonner.

But a couple of months later, and it was looking better than it ever has done.... icon_thumleft

They're crappe Simba, and look as though they might infect all your other plants. I tell you what, I'll come round and remove them for you if you like and dispose of them in the proper manner. :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Tom2006 wrote:they are amazing Simba! Do you protect them at all? Whats their tolerance limit?
Last winter I protected.....badly...!?!?

I got caught out by the sudden plunge in temperature, and was too late in covering up.
Even then, I didn't bind the fronds properly, and I staked tarpaulin over the top.
Bad, bad error, and I was very lucky to get away with it.

This winter, I protected early, bound the fronds, wrapped layers of fleece, and covered the surrounding soil with horticultural groundsheet, to prevent it from freezing.

I don't like keeping them under wraps too long, and I am itching to unwrap them again.. :?
Nigel Fear wrote: I'll come round and remove them for you if you like and dispose of them in the proper manner. :D
Only an Essex boy could be such a cheeky butter and get away with it.... :lol: