G'day from Brisbane, australia

The Codfather

Re: G'day from Brisbane, australia

Post by The Codfather »

Any pics :?:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

Will upload tomorrow when I get the cam out, currently 11:12p
Over here. Was gonna get them done today but didn't get time.
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to HT Puremagick3

icon_cheers
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

Here are a few pics of my tropicals, most I grow from Seed, plus so colder climate exotics as well
Attachments
Ginger in Flower
Ginger in Flower
My English Holly
My English Holly
Bottle Palm
Bottle Palm
From the back, Banana, Young Cuban Royal, Young Golden Cane, Redneck and Dwarf Coconut at the front ( Coconut, Cuban Royal, Golden Cane all grown from Seed)
From the back, Banana, Young Cuban Royal, Young Golden Cane, Redneck and Dwarf Coconut at the front ( Coconut, Cuban Royal, Golden Cane all grown from Seed)
Giant Bird of Paradise
Giant Bird of Paradise
Young Foxtail Palm
Young Foxtail Palm
English Oak
English Oak
single leaf one at back is a baby Queen Palm, and the two in front are Left: Bangalow and Right Carpentaria.
single leaf one at back is a baby Queen Palm, and the two in front are Left: Bangalow and Right Carpentaria.
My Year Old Tall Coconut (grown from Seed)
My Year Old Tall Coconut (grown from Seed)
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

and more.

Plus only been living in this house for 2 years so not bad hey
Attachments
My newest Coconut I have germinated
My newest Coconut I have germinated
Last flowers on Frangipani
Last flowers on Frangipani
Delonix regia seedling I grow
Delonix regia seedling I grow
Alexandra Palm seedling
Alexandra Palm seedling
Golden Cane (Was here when I moved in)
Golden Cane (Was here when I moved in)
Delonix regia in flower
Delonix regia in flower
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Some lovely plants there PM3, sort of makes me wish my front door was in England and my back door was in Australia.
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Some lovely plants there PM3, sort of makes me wish my front door was in England and my back door was in Australia.
I do have heap more but there my pride and joys. Especially my coconuts. I will upload some pics of my full grown palms etc later.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Im very impressed with that large Golden Cane....and that Delonix looks just like my cup of tea too.... icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Puremagick3 wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys.

Ok for exotic plants

Palms: jelly palm or wine palm can take down to -12c
Queen palm can take to -9.6c
Alexandra palm can take to -3.3c
Foxtail palm -3.6c
Bangalow palm -6.6c
Australian cabbage palm -6.6c
Skyduster palm -6.6c
Most European palms will be fine like mediterranean fan palm, canary date palm, dwarf date palm.

Other plants off the top of my head would be
Cabbage tree, canna, spider plant, Australian native Ginger, dwarf or Hawaiian umbrella tree, umbrella tree,

Think that should give u an idea for now. Have a research on them. Most will suit most uk locations.
Hi PureMagick, and welcome icon_salut

mmmmm..... I think you have been reading the web :lol: . Some of us on here have been growing, and experimenting with palms for many years, and myself for 31 years. The reality is we cannot successfully grow many of the palms in your list. :( but not for the want of trying.

Even though Butia capitata (jelly palm) and Jubea chilensis (Chilean wine palm) are rated as hardy to -12C, they don't seem to handle the one or 2 week freezes we are now getting. Even Chamaerops humilis (European Fan Pam) has suffered damage in my garden this winter, and my temps (about -10C) were mild compared to most on here. :roll: Butia capitata is damaged, Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island Date Palm) is history) and Phoenix roebelinii (Pygmy Date Palm) just does not take frost. :roll:

The Bangalow palm has survived in Southsea, but that is not representative of the UK, being probably the mildest part connected to mainland UK.

Best to avoid telling us what we should be able to grow, as for most suitable (on paper) palms, we have been there, tried that.

The real success I'm having is the Washingtonia robuster (Skyduster palm) which although only rate at about -6C seems to have come through the -10C with overhead protection and ropelights icon_thumright But is not a pretty sight at the moment.
2010-12-01 20-30-58 Washie in snow.jpg
Tidied up and the dead bit removed in March
2011-03-12 13-37-26 Washingtonia tidied.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

By whatever method Dave......by whatever method,

I love the lit pic.. :lol:

Did I say welcome Puremagick3...welcome.

icon_cheers
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

Yeah your right Dave. I am starting to realize the "guides" don't tell u the full story. I didn't even think u guys get weeks at a time in deep freeze. Guess it's cos I live in a tropical climate, I don't fully understand ur climate. But it's great to be part of ur site to see the different plants your trying out :D you skyduster in the snow is awesome. So pretty. I watched your videos on the homepage - very impressive, very tropical looking. The look u have going is impressive.

Thing that amuses me is that tropicals can't live in cold climate but cold plants can live in tropical. As you can see I have a fairly healthy English holly and English oak. Although they are Approx 4 yrs old and have only grown to 1.5 foot Approx and they grow the most in our cooler months. Even tho the oak is deciduous, it loses it's leaves for a week before buds are growing lol.
Puremagick3

Post by Puremagick3 »

Simba wrote:Im very impressed with that large Golden Cane....and that Delonix looks just like my cup of tea too.... icon_thumleft
The golden cane grows like weeds over here. There are bigger ones in some places. The delonix was grown by seed. There a beautiful tree. Shame u guys can't grow them cos there just fabulous in flower.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i dont need any syagrus seeds PM3 but when your foxy gets bigger icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

G'day and welcome PM3 icon_cheers

Thoroughly jealous of your one year old coconut.

However, I'm smug :D because my bottle palm is bigger than yours :?:

It's inside :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep the pictures coming - they give us something to aim for icon_sunny
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Hi Magic, great pictures! icon_cheers