Poorly cycad

HarryandNess

Poorly cycad

Post by HarryandNess »

Doh! Another winter casualty discovered yesterday. The centre of one of our cycads pulled out and the inside was all mushy. Cleaned all the mush out and left it pointing towards the sun to dry off. Will it regrow?

I'm sure I've read on here that you can cut the caudex up to save plants or generate new ones.....but I can't find it anywhere....was I dreaming?

Ness
Nigel Fear

Re: Poorly cycad

Post by Nigel Fear »

Don't sound too good Harry, but Red recently posted an article about propping Cycads using the method you described, so you wasn't dreaming it. :ahhh!:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Mouse......You're a star!!! I've read this page before...perhaps this is one I was thinking of...I'm going to try it. The worst thing is that the cycad looked ok until I very gently tugged the middle...
Cheers!
Ness
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

This trunk will die but if the base and roots are healthy it is possible it will create a new caudex at the base of the plant but it will be a long and slow process to recover a big plant.
far better to buy a new one !
In Brasil they are reproduced commercially by removing the 'potatos' as they call them, small caudxes that form at base of trunk.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Nigel wrote:In Brasil they are reproduced commercially by removing the 'potatos' as they call them, small caudxes that form at base of trunk.
How is that done..?
I have a few potatoes to be harvested.. :D