Oh i love b&q lol

daz

Oh i love b&q lol

Post by daz »

Went to b&q today for a tree fern for£24.99.When we got ther i saw another one for £50 :ahhh!: a good size aswell.The trunk's only about 2-3foot but really fat{abit like me short and fat lol] :eyes: The fronds are 68 inches long[sad arn't i]Some of the fronds are all twisted and bent like thay usually are in places like b&q but i like it so i bought it.Will the fronds straighten out? or should i cut them of?.I really don't know to much about them so any advice at all will be great thanks very much...daz.Oh yes here it is
Libby

Re: Oh i love b&q lol

Post by Libby »

No idea???

but wanted to say great looking tree fern. It looks like you and me are in the same boat, just starting off so spending loads just to fill the garden up :lol: :lol:

Shall we be broke together????
daz

Post by daz »

Lol . yea; ur right libby.Broke isn't the word.I don't know about you but i see somthing and just can't resist it lol.Even know i know i cant afford it i still have.Ohh well we are only here once ducky arn't we :wink: Ohh libby the grass is growing really well duck.Remember i owe ya one mate :wink:
Libby

Post by Libby »

daz wrote:Lol . yea; ur right libby.Broke isn't the word.I don't know about you but i see somthing and just can't resist it lol.Even know i know i cant afford it i still have.
ditto, double ditto! You see everyone else's garden all mature and beautiful, so you try and buy bigger just in hope yours too will look like tha, lol doesn't happen does it. :lol: :lol:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Hi Daz, we've had our first tree ferns from b&q and they really are good value (apart from Wilko's). Now and again they have those 20% off weekends so if you want more time it when they have those promos :)

Don't cut off those twisted fronds, leave them on this year. It needs as many leaves as possible to help it re-establish. If you're lucky you might get a second flush this year, otherwise just cut them off when it gets a new set of leaves spring next year :)
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Get yourself some treefern food, thats what I did last year, and its made a massive difference, sooooo many new fronds this year compared to prior years.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Tree Fern food Lucien? Where do you get that from?
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I first got a liquid tree fern feed from Desert to Jungle, they recommended it to try and recovery my C.australis. I used it on all the other ferns on a weekly basis last summer, and it seems to have worked wonders. I only have a small amount left, so when I was at the palm center the other week picked up a box of dry tree fern food.

The liquid food is made by HSK (http://www.treefernz.com), but you have to buy 36 bottles from them if you go direct. I know locally to me Damian at Total Eden said he was getting it in.
Img_0912.jpg
HSK NPK : 26:6:11 (+ trace elements)
Palm Center NPK : 18:6:12 (+ trace elements)
Mark

Post by Mark »

David, I think you can get it from the Palm Centre. Most of us use Maxicrop seaweed extract for the ferns.
daz

Post by daz »

Yea yor right libby lol.Cheers for that mark ill do just that mate :wink: LuciencI didn't know there was food for tree ferns :shock: I'll get some mate :wink:
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Blimey - they were quick replies! Thanks for the info.
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Bit small isn't it Daz ? :mrgreen:

Garden is looking well :D is there anything going next to the TF ?

Not seen your garden from that angle before, have they been clearing the other side of the river bank ?
Ali K

Post by Ali K »

I get my liquid seaweed, amongst other stuff, from this place, it's really cheap

http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/1.html

I use it on lots of plants (except for Bamboo which I've been told doesn't like the salts in it), It certainly makes my tree ferns grow.

Daz, your old fronds won't straighten out but any new ones should be fine. They tend to grow twisty and look a bit elongated due to the stress of being decapitated and shipped halfway round the world so should settle down once planted and cared for.

Those 2-3ft trunks would have originally been much taller, they cut them to size, the trunk on a real 2-3 footer wouldn't be anywhere near as fat as that.

Hope this helps (and hope I've got my facts straight ).
daz

Post by daz »

Thanks ali.Yea that makes sence. :idea: I was wondering WHY some 2-3ft tf look really skinny when mine is fat :shock: .Banana man good to see you mate hope ur well my friend :lol: Yea the council have choped all the stuff down from the other side and planted alot of new stuff so im a bit nacked for a while :ahhh!: I;v planted some small ferns around it but i'm sure by the end of summer the will be a nana or to in ther as well. :wink:
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Yes good thanks daz, I have a few TF fatties and thinnies of similar height. Poor old tree ferns go through some ordeal to get to us :oops: Keep your eye out for the 6-7 footers that B&Q were doing a few years ago. I bought a 7 footer nice and fat for around the £100 mark. Was a real find, I went back and bought another and another 3 fat 4 footers:oops: :lol: