Mums (Cycad pupping)

kata

Mums (Cycad pupping)

Post by kata »

Me,

I may be pregnant with five. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I say may, but have spoke to people.Not sure if you know that last year I recived a parcel of goodies, a huge parcel from RedS. Its his child thats producing but at my home.

The gift pack contained a Cycas, its different than mine in that the caudex is like a dark brown where my own Cycas is brighter in color. Last winter it was kept in a pot, the leaves were a nice green on arrival. For a week or so to aclimatise it was in my lounge then taken to the back garden for the winter.

I did the same with RedS's Cycas as I did with mine and wrapped it in fleece due to the harsh winter. In spring the leaves like my own came from under the fleece varigated (does fleece do this?) When the weather was ok I planted it.

It was doing nothing so I took it out and planted it in a pot. Half the caudex was in compost, the other half in the open.
A week or so ago I noticed green patches, I turned the pot and discovered there are more 'patches'. It turns out they could be Cycas pups.

What a great gift, thanks RedS and Debs I will keep you posted on progress. icon_king

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
pup1.JPG
newgreen.JPG
morepups.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Mums (Cycad pupping)

Post by Dave Brown »

Changed the title on this Kata, as I did not read to start with as thought it was about Chrysanthemums, commonly called 'mums.

Unusual for the pups to appear at midway down the side. I've had them before but were always at the base of the caudex.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Thanks Dave,

Waiting to see how they grow...or not. And will have winter.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I'll take a pic of my wee golf ball size revi tomorrow Kata. That's got about 5 pups on it and it's going thru a flush at the mo..........first flush in about 3yrs. It's only a tiny thing.........(and the cycad :D ), you can compare it then. icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Look forward to your Image Arlon,

None are flushing here but I am not trying to flush, just letting them do as they wish and leaving them in sunshine. Maybe next year go for a flush.

icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

What is this flush everyone talks about?!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:What is this flush everyone talks about?!
Cycas revoluta does not grow one frond at a time, it has a 'flush' of many fronds the same as a Dicksonia antarctica.

Here is my Cycas rev01 mid-flush back in 2007
Attachments
050707 Cycad plant.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by huporhaha »

All your cycads are looking great. I have 2 revolutas that are quite tiny - probably 9 to 12 inches at the most. They are both sitting in pots in the greenhouse. They refuse to budge and look like they did when I first bought them. I don't think it is warm enough for their liking up here so I'm keeping them in the greenhouse for the time being - or perhaps I'll put them in the swaps, feebies and casual sales department as I don't think they will ever flourish here :?: :?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

They will flush huporhaha, but they can take anywhere up to 7 years so i have learnt on this forum to flush, I think last year for most of us was a unusual year as a lot of memebers cycads seem to be flushing, mine isn't flushing this year but i wont sell it as what i have noticed is the fronds i have got have grown in size since last so i know it is doing something. :) I think these are classed as a plant where you need to have a lot of patience when it comes to it flushing. Don't give up on it just leave it where it is and concentrate on a different plant mate. :wink:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Here ya go Kata.........

This revo is so small it's officially recognized by Guinness and Jeremy Clarkson as.....the smallest pupping cycad, in the world. :lol:

It's got 6 pups on it and it's midway thru a flush. Some of the pups are further up the caudex as yours appear to be but the bigger one's are right on the base. Hopefully it'll help you identify what yours are.
Attachments
DSC01421 (Copy).JPG
DSC01422 (Copy).JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Your plant is a lot smaller than mine,

The reason mine even pupped (If thats what it is) is because the caudex was earlier planted too deep in the pot. Its a miracle its not dead let alone pupping. Its been in a pot, in the garden, back in a pot. :lol: :lol:

I still want to wait some weeks yet. I was told to feed it Miraclegrow in warm water so I did that this week but leaving it till almost dry.

Had it not shown to be doing 'something' then I would have left it to the elemnts for six months.

I have to say looking at your new leaves it looked like that one of Dave's we all want, which I may add I hope no one steals it after the thread the other day where we all emptied his garden ...virtually. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was lucky last year and mine flushed but its not looking like I will get one this year. Last year I had the hosepipe so I could jet it with force.

Lovely specimens Arlon, your a great little gardener....and a mate too.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Lovely specimens Arlon, your a great little gardener....and a mate too.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:[/quote]

xxxxxxxxx icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

He is,

Shut ya gob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

pmsl :lol: :lol: .....hook, line and sinker icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

You used to be my bodyguard, now you don't care :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arlon cares about people so he is a bud..whoops no he drinks bud... :lol: :lol: