Buy Phoenix canariensis in Cornwall area?

StyleGarden

Buy Phoenix canariensis in Cornwall area?

Post by StyleGarden »

I havent been much in the Cornwall area, Im wondering if its possible and where to buy Phoenix canariensis or other palms there.
Im not going to spend alot of money so they cant be that big, only a few years old.
redsquirrel

Re: Buy Phoenix canariensis in Cornwall area?

Post by redsquirrel »

cheap cidps here icon_thumright
will probably be bigger and cheaper than the exotic nurseries
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&xhr ... d=0CAQQtgM
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Good value for money when I lived there was Homeleigh GC, Dutson, Launceston.
Trelawney at Wadebridge wasn't bad either - depends whereabouts in Cornwall you will be. Its well over fifty miles from the Devon border to Lands End.
Brooks Garden Centre near Bude may be worth a visit too.

Duchy Nurseries are very good but have never bought hardy tropicals from them so I don't know about their prices.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i found duchy prices to be very reasonable but if i was going there,i sure wouldnt be faffing around with cidps.they have a great selection of much harder to get plants,like begonia luxurians for example
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

StyleGarden wrote:I havent been much in the Cornwall area, Im wondering if its possible and where to buy Phoenix canariensis or other palms there.
Im not going to spend alot of money so they cant be that big, only a few years old.
Why are you trying to buy them in Cornwall when they are available everywhere icon_scratch
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

That's what I thought?

If you want small, cheap Phoenix canariensis you can get them in B&Q & virtually all garden centres for around £5...
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Nathan wrote:That's what I thought?

If you want small, cheap Phoenix canariensis you can get them in B&Q & virtually all garden centres for around £5...
exactly what i thought Nate icon_thumleft hence my link to the B and Q stores in cornwall icon_thumleft

cornwall plantaholics is very good ,especially if on a tight budget,Steve at lower keneggy is probably is best vfm in my opinion but not sure if either of these has Phoenix canariensis_CIDP ??
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I agree with the other comments here, Phoenix is readily available at most normal nurseries,[inc B&q etc.] at least where I am, so if it were me, I,d be filling up valuable car- boot space with something a bit more 'exotic' from some of those Cornish nurseris.
:wink:
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

Agreed with above. They are a dime a dozen and probably much cheaper in B&Q etc. I got my last Pheonix from B&Q for just £6.99 and a good size one too.

If I was traveling to Cornwall I would definitely look up something more interesting if that makes sense. There's some great nurseries down this neck of the woods. I just picked up a Butia from Hayle this afternoon for a very good price. They had all kinds of plants from Olive trees, Nanas, citrus, palms, bamboo, exotix fruit plants and some I had never even heard of. We spent several hours on a tour of the "exotic" nurseries around western Cornwall today. Had a great time spending!!!! The great weather just made it even more exotic.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

were you at plantaholics Bob? we were impressed with the selection there icon_thumright