Chamaerops humilis spear pull what to do?

Rachelpalm

Chamaerops humilis spear pull what to do?

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I bought this palm 5 weeks ago off Ebay and it got stuck in the post over the weekend and looked very dry when I got it. I planted it straight away and watered well and it looks healthy now, but the new leaf looked yellow in the centre and I just pulled it and it came out. It was black and wet looking at the bottom of it( stem part). The palm was not expensive( £20) but I do not want it to die. What should I do? I hope it is not dying?

Any advice would be great,

Thanks very much
huporhaha

Re: Chamaerops humilis spear pull what to do?

Post by huporhaha »

It sounds a little ominous to me but don't give up on it. Sounds like it needs some TLC with some 3% H2O2 treatment.

I don't want to cast aspersions (or cast nasturtiums) but it may have been already rather sick when you got it. I had a similar experience and now believe that the one I bought had been exposed to extreme cold before I bought it.

Hope it recovers well. icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

First suggestion would be try and get a refund as it was obviously not in good condition when it was sent out.

If you want to try and fix it then treat the hole with 3 or 3.5% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) by squirting or dropping about 3-5ml into the hole where the spear came from. It will bubble and fizz and this process will dry it out and get rid of the wet rotten bits. Keep the wet and rain off it (either by keeping it indoors or by using a cloche, bell or half a pop bottle) and wait for new growth.

My Vulcano pulled recently and someone said they had put Miracle Gro into the hole a few days after treating with H2O2 so I gave that a try (used MG Pour & Feed twice spaced a week apart) and now I have 2 healthy new leaves pushing out 3 weeks later.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
thanks for your replies. Will try to H202 thing. Bought some Miracle Grow yesterday so will try that too. I think the palm went into shock after being stuck in the post so long. Never had a spear pull thing before. Hopefully Boots sell the Hydrogen Peroxide stuff. I have a plastic water bottle I will use to keep it dry.

Thanks again

Cheers
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Rachelpalm wrote:Hello
I bought this palm 5 weeks ago off Ebay and it got stuck in the post over the weekend and looked very dry when I got it. I planted it straight away and watered well and it looks healthy now, but the new leaf looked yellow in the centre and I just pulled it and it came out. It was black and wet looking at the bottom of it( stem part). The palm was not expensive( £20) but I do not want it to die. What should I do? I hope it is not dying?

Any advice would be great,

Thanks very much
The damage would have been done quite some time ago. The likelihood is that it will grow out but thats not the point imo. You've paid good money for what should be an A1 condition plant.Myself, i would contact the seller and ask for a replacement and offer to send a pic of your damaged one. If he's a descent chap, he'll send you one out. If he's a regular palm seller, the chances are he may have known he had some damaged stock and may have been looking to offload some asap.