Phoenix Canariensis (Silly Question)

Nikkib4492

Phoenix Canariensis (Silly Question)

Post by Nikkib4492 »

(Second time posted as I posted it in the Newbie Forum) :roll:
Hi All, I'm not a very keen gardener but I have two CPDP in my front garden which is surrounded with gravel. They are approx two years old now and have been planted in the ground. They were doing really well here in Croydon, Surrey until the Snow struck (they were unprotected). Since then all the outside leafs are brown, but I have noticed new leafs forming in the centre. The real question is...

1) Do I just cut off the old branches to reveal the fresh leafs? (It would look terrible)
2) Do you know of a Good feed that would help?
3) What is the best way to protect it in the winter months?

Please Help...

Nikki
kata

Re: Phoenix Canariensis (Silly Question)

Post by kata »

I wrote to this post then got

The requested topic does not exist.

Did you delete it? :(

Welcome to the forum!!
Nikkib4492

Post by Nikkib4492 »

Yes, sorry I put it in the Newbie Forum by accident then deleted it. Sorry I'm Not good with Computers, I'm trying to put a picture up of my CPDP but the photo is too big.

Nikki
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Hi Nikki,

If there is no green left on the brown leaves then I would cut them off as they wont be helping the palms (not photosynthesizing). Phoenix canariensis appreciate lots of water during the summer, so they shouldnt need any feed, but if you have have a general multi purpose fertilizer such as Miracle Grow, then it woldn't hurt to give them some of this. You could also try watering them with warm water as this can also stimulate more growth...

As for protecting them, well it depends on their size. Smaller ones can be wrapped in fleece (or even a blanket) & larger ones have their fronds pulled up together & then wrapped. Though you should only wrap them when it is cold, don't keep them wrapped all winter as rot will set in...
kata

Post by kata »

I can help with the Image,

We will presume your using a digital camera, you have the image on the camera. Or your computer.

Have you got a photo editor like Photoshop?

If so bring up your image in the software. Edit it out all the unwanted space around the image with the crop tool. Then go to image and resize to 800x600.

If the height is say 700 or more make the width so it says the bottom height is 600. you may have to drop to as little as 500 in width to get the 600 height.

Or try this online resize then save it in the harddrive on the desktop so you know where it is.
http://www.picresize.com/
Browse will then find it here.
icon_sunny
Nikkib4492

Post by Nikkib4492 »

Thank you Nathan, I take it I cut the palms right back to the Trunk?
Nikkib4492

Post by Nikkib4492 »

Finally... This is a photo of My PCDP in Croydon Surrey.
Attachments
Phoenix Carariensis. Croydon Surrey
Phoenix Carariensis. Croydon Surrey
kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!: :ahhh!: Oh c*** thats bad looking,

I see green though.

Do as Nathan suggested.

icon_cheers
Nikkib4492

Post by Nikkib4492 »

tell me about it... i've got another one the other side of the path. My neighbour has one that is looking the same and that has only been planted 6mths. It will look funny when the brown leafs are removed, but lets hope it helps.
kata

Post by kata »

Hmmm..

Strange things happening this summer. My Acer is completely defoliated by something, gardner thought sun but its been in shade. Dunno, its been well watered and fed.

I have Cycas varigated, only two leaves on there not. I may cut down the browned off leaves.

icon_cheers
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Nikkib4492 wrote:Thank you Nathan, I take it I cut the palms right back to the Trunk?
Yes cut the leaves back as far as you can icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nikkib4492 wrote:Finally... This is a photo of My PCDP in Croydon Surrey.
Considering the winter it has been through it has done extremely well nikki. Well done!
Nikkib4492

Post by Nikkib4492 »

Thank you all for your posts, I'll give your tips a go and see how I get on. It's going to take a lot to get it back to looking half decent. :roll:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

If you can get some extra heat into it by using a cloche or similar, that would aid it greatly.
Nikkib4492

Post by Nikkib4492 »

tell me about it... i've got another one the other side of the path. My neighbour has one that is looking the same and that has only been planted 6mths. It will look funny when the brown leafs are removed, but lets hope it helps.