Mazari palm

Rachelpalm

Mazari palm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
do you have one? They look lovely and go down to -20c, wow. Is this the hardiest palm ever? Or are there palms that can go lower than -20c?

Where can you get these palms from? Looked on Ebay and Amulree who do not have them,

Cheers
countrylover

Re: Mazari palm

Post by countrylover »

Had one. Died from excessive moisture despite hot and sunny weather.
It may be hardy to -20C if you provide it super dry soil and shelter from precipitation in winter
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

They wont grow in a UK climate unfortunately. They come from desert regions so although they can take very low temperatures, it needs to be very dry & to grow they need lots & lots of heat, hotter than it ever gets here even in a heatwave...
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I have one I've grown from seed. Still a seedling at 9 years old with a couple of split leaves but still not a full true leaf. It stays in my conservatory year round which isn't a problem as it's growing soooooooo slowly.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've tried this palm twice, both times it was dead within a year. They need more heat than we can provide in the UK and need to be very dry over winter which is the hard part.

Personally I would avoid this palm if I was you.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
ok crossed off my want list, lol

Cheers for your replies
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I binned one a couple of weeks ago. It was a seedling, spear pulled, hadn't grown one millimetre since I got it.

:(
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

As mentioned,not tolerant of moisture.

They are also very root tender and should be
planted when the soil is at it's warmest.

One of mine survived singles digits (F) in
mu "poly-tunnel" but met it's dome in cool,rainy spring.