exotics in southampton,no6. phoenix canariensis.

billdango

exotics in southampton,no6. phoenix canariensis.

Post by billdango »

another familier palm to us forum members,but sadly as most of us found out last december not a very hardy palm either.
although it seems to have done well in london and southsea nearly all the cidps in southampton were totally destroyed.
so far i have only found about a dozen specimens scattered around the city that have survived in decent condition.
some of these are outside the de vers hotel by the docks and a few small ones are found near the general hospital.
there may be others that i havent found yet.
below i have posted a picture of the st denys Phoenix canariensis_CIDP which although slightly damaged is now growing away strongly.
as i am now looking after that particular garden i can now make sure that it is properly protected in future.
as you can all see i have just laid a new stone patio around the palm to give it and the other palms a mediterranean feel.
all we need now is something called a summer and hopefully this palm will thrive
and grow to a massive size.
Attachments
101_1613.jpg
The Codfather

Re: exotics in southampton,no6. phoenix canariensis.

Post by The Codfather »

They are going to have BIG problems with size in a year or two........but what a fantastic exapmle for this country.......I am so gutted I cant grow one up here.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
eddie

Post by eddie »

Here is one, not far from me, in a village called Honselersdijk

http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=kwintsheul ... .4,,0,1.38

It's the only one i know of in my area. It seems to do well

icon_sunny
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
billdango

Post by billdango »

eddie wrote:Here is one, not far from me, in a village called Honselersdijk

http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=kwintsheul ... .4,,0,1.38

It's the only one i know of in my area. It seems to do well

icon_sunny
thats an good specimen,how did it get through last winter with no protection?.
it,s very hard to grow this palm in uk unless you live right on the south coast.
there are good specimens in torquay and southsea,and of course london.
billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
eddie

Post by eddie »

The leaves were wrapped in plastic last winter.... It's at a sheltered spot, not far from the coast, in an area with loads of greenhouses. Maybe the greenhouses help to keep the hard frosts away, i don't know

icon_sunny
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

eddie wrote:The leaves were wrapped in plastic last winter.... It's at a sheltered spot, not far from the coast, in an area with loads of greenhouses. Maybe the greenhouses help to keep the hard frosts away, i don't know

icon_sunny
How long were the leaves wrapped up for ?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Bill that looks very much like the phoenix canariensis that is down wales in porthcrawl.. It was just down the road from a pub i was in when i was having a meal, i couldn't stop looking at it :lol: and it had a gorgeous sea view infront of the house. :)
eddie

Post by eddie »

JakoMonster wrote:How long were the leaves wrapped up for ?
As far as I know from beginning of december till mid march
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

billdango wrote:another familier palm to us forum members,but sadly as most of us found out last december not a very hardy palm either.
although it seems to have done well in london and southsea nearly all the cidps in southampton were totally destroyed.
so far i have only found about a dozen specimens scattered around the city that have survived in decent condition.
some of these are outside the de vers hotel by the docks and a few small ones are found near the general hospital.
there may be others that i havent found yet.
below i have posted a picture of the st denys Phoenix canariensis_CIDP which although slightly damaged is now growing away strongly.
as i am now looking after that particular garden i can now make sure that it is properly protected in future.
as you can all see i have just laid a new stone patio around the palm to give it and the other palms a mediterranean feel.
all we need now is something called a summer and hopefully this palm will thrive
and grow to a massive size.
There's a couple of similar size and condition in the Camborne area.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=roskear ... 75,,2,5.21

I don't think any of them were protected during the winter. That being said, I wasn't in the area for the last winter so I don't know how low the temperature got down here. They obviously survived though.
eddie

Post by eddie »

A big dead (?) one in Zeeland, pic was posted on a dutch forum:
2092802490049827725S600x600Q85.jpg