Cycas revoluta.

karl66

Cycas revoluta.

Post by karl66 »

I;ve today bought a fairly big specimen of this plant its trunk is 16 inches high and must be 28 inches in circumference. Do any members keep these and have any maintanance tips. karl.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Cycas revoluta.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Are you sure its a revoluta? Those dimensions seem way off. I have one with a 5ft spread that only has an 8" caudex.

Pics would help.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Have a look at Simba's Blog, he has a few of these as he shows how he overwintered his.

I have just a small one that i got off ebay, would love a larger one but they can be very pricey.
kata

Post by kata »

I have two Karl,

I got them through last winter by triple fleece bags from Amazan.

Maintence, they maintain themselves. Expect the fronds to yellow in winter unless you have somewhere to keep them frost and cold free. Somewhere around june/july if your luicky you get a new flush of fronds. One of mine gave me three new ones.
Just enjoy the new purchase, I doubt it will flush new now but could do.

icon_cheers
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Karl they tend to look after themselves, easy plants really. Just water when required, feed occasionally, protect well in Winter if it is in the ground (Simbas the king here) if in a pot drag it into a greenhouse or garage for protection, and take it out early Spring if weather permits, and if it's happy will flush anytime from late Spring onwards.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

karl66 wrote:I;ve today bought a fairly big specimen of this plant its trunk is 16 inches high and must be 28 inches in circumference. Do any members keep these and have any maintanance tips. karl.
Pretty low maintenance really, they can be kept in pots for many years, and provided you give it adequate protection throughout winter, gradual acclimatisation to the sunlight and a good drink in summer, you can't go far wrong. My largest one is halfway through a flush [term used when new leaves are emerging] right now, and that is not a good time to move them around, or else the leaves can distort as they follow the orientation of the light.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Are you sure its a revoluta? Those dimensions seem way off. I have one with a 5ft spread that only has an 8" caudex.

Pics would help.
Yes m8 it is as described and i believe a very old plant. The story to it is that last year it was left out and the top totally went. Its now got a lush green crown about 2.5ft in diameter and looks really healthy. I'm told the crown will grow even bigger this year. I've repotted it today with john innes 3 and perlite and given it palmbooster, its now in a bigger pot also. I gave £110 for it which i think is a good deal. will get some pics as soon as. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Are you sure its a revoluta? Those dimensions seem way off. I have one with a 5ft spread that only has an 8" caudex.

Pics would help.
here enclosed are a couple of pictures of cycas
Attachments
64rsz.jpg
64rsz.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
65rsz.jpg
65rsz.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Worth every penny.....that is a corker !
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Absolute beauty! Well worth the money.

The next time it flushes I bet you'll get much bigger fronds too now you've repotted it.

;)
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
they look very sim to a tree fern I think, lovely plant you have there
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

That's a beauty and a good price that you've paid. Please take care of it and either bring it in for winter or follow Simbas routine for winter. icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Karl looks like the tropical bug has really bitten!

Great buy!

Does anyone have the link to simbas winter guide for this? Hard to find on phone!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

cordyman wrote:Karl looks like the tropical bug has really bitten!

Great buy!

Does anyone have the link to simbas winter guide for this? Hard to find on phone!
Thanks for comments. I really must stop soon or i will have to charge a fee for people to see my tropical garden :lol: . Even though i'm new to it i've got a nice little collection going. Just got to be careful to protect my yucca,s and smaller palms come winter. karl.
kata

Post by kata »

Very nice Karl,

~throws a coin~

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: