Orange mush on a Cycas

kata

Orange mush on a Cycas

Post by kata »

I had a Cycas that a leaf was yellow from the caudex to the tip so it was dead,

I snipped it off but now have orange soft stuff where the leaf was. I think we treat with Hydrogen peroxide but how, straight or watered down?

I can get some today from Boots.

Thanks very much

icon_cheers

I can't stay on the forum as the fan is overheating the machine...be back soon.
Hoops

Re: Orange mush on a Cycas

Post by Hoops »

Hi Kata
i had the same on one that was given to me but i don't think it's anything to worry about as i was told it was just the sap still rising in the stem.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi Kata, last month i removed 3 of my fronds, it now looks pretty bare but i hated seeing yellow coloured fronds and bits where the fronds had come off :( so i got rid of them. When i check it later in the day, it had pushed out some type of goo not sure about it being orange though?, I think it had done this to heal up the cuts to cut out infection it may get in them with the cuts being open to infection. The goo is solid to touch, and it is pretty amazing at how the plant reacts to a cut and healing itself. 8)
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks both of you,

So I need do nothing just yet then?

Can't harm to get the HP today when I go shopping.

A bit of a scare yesterday which taught me a valuble lesson on wearing gloves around the garden. I touched that orangy stuff cus it looked strange, went back in the house.

After a while, after dinner I was working on here then a thought struck me, did I wash my hands after touching that stuff? Went to see how poisonous and read 'dead in 12 hours' :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

Boy was I glad to wake early this morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Peeps for the help, this got missed yesterday so I tried again today.

Diamond geezers. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

My largest Cycad (and one of Yorkshire Kris' if I remember rightly) got orange goo right at the start of a flush.

I think the "dead in 12 hours" only applies a) if you're a cat and b) if you've been chewing the whole cycad! :lol:

Glad to see you're alive and well Kata

;)
kata

Post by kata »

I was blutty worried Goggle I can tell you,

They spoke about sickness dioria, then bleeding then total organ failure. :( :(

I went to bed worried, woke a few time making sure, then got the migraine from lack of sleep. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I heard if the centre is dry a flush is due, well mine has been dry for weeks and it certainly won't flush now...blutty thing. The one RedS gave me has flushed six new fronds, and babies.

Thanks Goggle!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
michael0512

Post by michael0512 »

Kata

just try to resist all temptation to taste the sap from the cut leaf stems and you will be fine :lol:

You would need a very high concentration on your hands for a long time to feel any effect....Same can not be said however for a cat who has a habit of licking revolutas...no more Mr. cat...It appears yellow/orange to clear in colour after leaves are cut...no harm whatsoever...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:
I heard if the centre is dry a flush is due, well mine has been dry for weeks and it certainly won't flush now...blutty thing. The one RedS gave me has flushed six new fronds, and babies.

Thanks Goggle!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Never heard that before, and mine are always dry unless just watered. They flush when ready, and none of mine have ever flushed twiced in consequtive years, apart from the defoliated one, but that has tiny fronds. The best I can get is every other year normally. If yours are anything like mine The one from RedS won't flush next year but the other will. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Hmm..

My own big one flushed last year but not this year. I have just left it apart from taking off that leaf. I did try keeping it in water for two days but it never worked Dave. :lol: :lol:

The goo I thought meant it was on its way out, damage from last winter showing up late sort of thing.

Michael thanks; I shan't ever taste any of my plants, English ot otherwise. :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:Hmm..

The goo I thought meant it was on its way out, damage from last winter showing up late sort of thing.
It is resinous type of sap. Which if during or after winter on Tree Ferns is a sign of damage to the growing part of the plant. It is normal after cutting Dicksonia antarctica ot Cycas revoluta fronds. :wink:

Dunking in water is to trigger a flush, if it is ready, but won't make it flush if it's not :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Dunking in water is to trigger a flush, if it is ready, but won't make it flush if it's not
Thanks for the response Dave...appreciated.

It could very well flush today we are almost in monsoon type rain :lol: :lol:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Kata, to be honest, you might be better off not having a flush now, it's getting towards late summer now, and that could leave the new leaves soft and vulnerable to the elements, last year one of my smaller ones flushed late summer, and it kind of went into a 'suspended state' of development, which to this day it remains.

No lasting harm has been done, but it will have to stay looking like that until at least next year.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Nig,

The water treatment was weeks ago, since then I have left it apart from taking that leaf off.

I have one with soft flush, also have growths that could be pups. That will need to come indoors for sure.

:mrgreen: